Downtown Ottawa Hotel

HTHM

Does anyone know of a decent hotel to stay at in downtown Ottawa that is reasonably priced? My wife and I are going up for an awards ceremony, my brother in law is up for the national young farmer of the year award and we were invited to come.

Not having a lot of disposable income we would like to stay somewhere decent but not over the top.

Thanks in advance.

Down town will be expensive......15 min drive will get you much cheaper rates.

All within a $20 cab ride....

Unless you specically want to be right down town consider that Ottawa is not a big city and you can get from east to west in under 20 min. The Weston is right down town, nice and not overboard for rates. The riverrock inn in Rockland is a quick drive away and new and has good rates.

Quality Hotel in Downtown Ottawa is pretty decent. I stay there a few times a year whenever I'm in town for business. Around $120/night (Just tell them you're in town on business). They have underground parking for $9 a day.

There is a Don Cherry's restaurant in the lobby. There is also a grocery store across the street if you prefer grabbing some eats for the road.

Oh, and I can't forget the LCBO right across the street.

There are many shops and restaurants along Rideau, just don't stray too far down the side streets. I've seen a few unsavory characters lurking around the poorly lit sections of the area.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn about 5 years ago and it was very good and affordable. I can't remember what Street it was on but if was right beside the ballpark where their pro baseball team played at the time ... 'A' ball I think it ??? The hotel was nice and not too far from the Parliament Buildings etc ..

Novotel or Les Suites....... right down town

My wife is in Ottawa at least 15 times a year... always stays at either .... will recommend to anyone.

Her and I stayed at Novotel for a weekend this past July .......Very clean and quiet, spacious rooms

and courteous staff..walking distance to the heart of the Capital.

How much ..$$$$ .I just can't remember ....couldn't have been that much, if it were I would remember.

RFS

:canadian:

I travel to Ottawa several times each year. The Business Inn is pretty basic, but it's clean and as cheap as it gets at $99 a night. They're on MacLaren, pretty much at Elgin, so the location is very convenient to restaurants and pretty much everything else.

If that's not your taste, the Holiday Inn, on Cooper, is also good but a bit pricier. It's pretty tough to find any accommodation downtown for under $120 - $130 a night these days.

www.thebusinessinn.com

If you are going to cab it downtown, its not worth it. consider the $20 both ways, thats $40 extra. spend the extra $20 on a room a night.

There are a few nice ones downtown. I (unfortunately - boy i miss stoney creek now) live here now. DO NOT STAY AT THE RADISSON on Queen. Its a DUMP. I checked in, got to my room and checked right out.

Minto Suites - $105-195 depending on the night. It is VERY nice. Was there for 3 weeks and the rooms all come with a small kitchen with microwave, stove and full fridge.

Hampton Inn on St. Laurant - $140-$165 a night and its about a 5 min car ride downtown.

Fairmont - too expensive

Lord Elgin - i think it was $110 for the night when I was quoted, supposed to be nice. On Elgin St.

There is a Delta right in the business district, about a 2 minute walk to the parliament buildings. again $120 for the night.

The Travel Lodge is apparently a dump as well.

There is a Budget Inn on the Border of Vanier (you do not want to stay there) but the rooms are only about $60/night.

Check Hotwire for rates.

Shoot me a PM if you want and I can look around to see what else there is. There are a few more in Kanata and Orleans but you have to drive about 15 mins either way.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MuskyMike

Make an occasion of it and stay at the Chateau. It's probably more than $99 but it's kinda neat.

JF

That is where the award ceremony is being held.

My wife booked us into Albert on Bay, and got a good rate also.

Thanks for all the feed back. Now if I could only convince her to let me go fishing on the Ottawa....

Edited by hometownhandyman