Winter Crappie

Jer

With the upcoming winter season on the Kawarthas, the question that's begging to be asked...

I've never targetted crappie throught he ice. Where would be a good starting point come Jan 1?

I'm thinking specifically the Tri-Lakes, but I'm sure it would apply to most of the Kawarthas. Is the key to find some green weeds? What kinda depths? Will they be suspended in the deeper parts?

Anybody have any ideas? I can't wait.

I'm also looking forward to an early start on the spring bite. I think most years we miss the first run of crappie waiting for the end of April when the ice may have been out for as long as a month. Next year, ice-out one day...crappie fishing the next.

I'm with you Jer...It is going to be hit and miss finding the crappie thru the ice...

I'm thinking at last ice that they may be just outside the places we get them in the spring but for first ice...who knows?

Lake Scugog is not a very good example as it is mostly shallow everywhere...At Jack Lake we got them in 20 to 30 fow...

And I gotta agree with you on the open water fishing next year...ice out...boat in...no waiting until the 4th Saturday of April...Hopefully we will not have to contend with the jerks who anchor their boats right where we cast in one of our favorite shorefishing spots...Opening weekend has become a zoo...

I'm going to make a post on a crappie site to see if they might have some tips for icefishing...

On the french river in the winter we usually find crappie in 30-40 FOW...if you can find a bit of a hump or area of sunken structure that stands out from its surroundings a bit I'd try there. We've often found them in an area one day and returned to the same spot later and found none. Be prepared to move around a little. If you don't have a flasher I'd fish about a foot off bottom but they will suspend sometimes. One time my screen was almost black with them on the bottom but they weren't biting at all. Every now and then I'd see a blip at about 16 feet and if I reeled up to there I'd get a hit almost every time. There were plenty of fish on the bottom but they weren't feeding, the ones at 16 were. If I didn't have the sonar I'd never have found the butter zone.

They're fun to catch when the bite is on. The other peice of advice I'd offer is to go small. Small line, small hooks, small jigs, small bait. My brother uses the same ice rigs for crappie as he does for pike. 20 lb mono and number 2 hooks with a couple of big spit shots to get 'er down there...he refuses to attapt regardless of the fact that he gets outfished about 7 to 1 by guys with the right gear.

Have fun and good luck.

On the french river in the winter we usually find crappie in 30-40 FOW...if you can find a bit of a hump or area of sunken structure that stands out from its surroundings a bit I'd try there. We've often found them in an area one day and returned to the same spot later and found none. Be prepared to move around a little. If you don't have a flasher I'd fish about a foot off bottom but they will suspend sometimes. One time my screen was almost black with them on the bottom but they weren't biting at all. Every now and then I'd see a blip at about 16 feet and if I reeled up to there I'd get a hit almost every time. There were plenty of fish on the bottom but they weren't feeding, the ones at 16 were. If I didn't have the sonar I'd never have found the butter zone.

They're fun to catch when the bite is on. The other peice of advice I'd offer is to go small. Small line, small hooks, small jigs, small bait. My brother uses the same ice rigs for crappie as he does for pike. 20 lb mono and number 2 hooks with a couple of big spit shots to get 'er down there...he refuses to attapt regardless of the fact that he gets outfished about 7 to 1 by guys with the right gear.

Have fun and good luck.

Thanks Fishnwire...excellent info....i was catching crappie in the spring in a lake i can access this winter and want to try for them. After the water warmed up they dissappeared completely it seemed, i was catching lots in 2' - 7' in the weeds.

I was told they suspend in the summer...but spent a lot of time cruising around glued to my sonar screen trying to locate them without success.

There is only one peice of structure really in this lake, three large rock humps that never quite break the surface....i actually avoid these normally because wind makes it very difficult to navigate the boat without dents.....but on the ice this wont be an issue.....just have to make sure i dont hit them with the auger....lol.

The humps are surrounded by the deepest water in the lake too, around 25-30 FOW.......thanks for helpimng to formulate my game plan.

And thanks Jer for starting this thread.

Simon

In the winter crappies move to deeper water. So depending on the lake your fishing deep water may be 10' or 50'. This is were gps comes in handy. If you know where some deep weed lines are that is a great place to start. Also I use a flasher and this actually shows me if there is any fish down the hole. Without this you'll probably be putting in a lot more time in locating them. Some lakes may be featureless in the main basin and they may just hover within 5' of the bottom. So in you don't have a flasher just start at the bottom and keep working your way up in 1' increments as a guide. Good luck out there. I hope this puts you in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Where I am on Buckhorn, the deepest water (15' to 20') also is going to have the worst ice, the middle of the lake is open water most of the winter due to current. Most of the accessible water here will be in the 8' to 12' weed flat range. I guess finding the edge will be the first step. maybe the tailing ends of the various points on this side of the lake would be good as well. Chemong may be a better option with better ice overall and a more defined weed edge leading into deeper water.

In the winter crappies move to deeper water.

Don't tell the crappie in Scugog that. I like catching them in 3 FOW through the ice :P I think they just move to where ever they are going to be able to feed the best. Now I'm talking an evening/nite bite here in water that shallow. During the day I'm sure they are deeper. I have not run across anyone getting them with any consistant success during the day in Scugog.

In crappie magazines I have read that in alot of waters they feed mostly after dark. I hope this isn't true for the Kawartha's. I'm just not interested in being out on the ice too long after dark.

I have not run across anyone getting them with any consistant success during the day in Scugog.

:D

Jer, try the old river channels, inside/outdside turns, humps in the middle of the bed.

Make sure you have a gas powered auger or a 4inch manual. Drill tons of hole and cover alot of water. Anyone on this board who has panfished with me knows how many holes I drill ;)

I think I know the area you are talking about Jer on Buckhorn, I would start there aswell, if the ice allows.

Good Luck.

Make sure you have a gas powered auger or a 4inch manual.

Would not recommend a 4 inch manual for slabs. I have a 5 inch lazer and I had several fish last winter I had to roll up the sleeves grab by the lip and force through that 5 inch hole. A 4 inch hole with a 14inch plus crappie would be something I would try to avoid. :D

Don't tell the crappie in Scugog that. I like catching them in 3 FOW through the ice :P I think they just move to where ever they are going to be able to feed the best. Now I'm talking an evening/nite bite here in water that shallow. During the day I'm sure they are deeper. I have not run across anyone getting them with any consistant success during the day in Scugog.

In crappie magazines I have read that in alot of waters they feed mostly after dark. I hope this isn't true for the Kawartha's. I'm just not interested in being out on the ice too long after dark.

I've fished scugog in the caesarea area in 10-15' of water and I fished it late at night in the pitch dark. I had some nice action with a few nice crappies + some gills and perch. Hit the same area in the day time and didn't do as well. So maybe the nite bite is better.

crappies.jpg

slabs.jpg

filet.jpg

Day time wife getting in on the action

anne.jpg

I fish a smallish reservoir in S. Ont. for crappie and they religiously suspend over the deepest spot in the lake. Absolutely guaranteed to be about 15' down over 27' of water, soft bottom. The marks I see on bottom almost never bite but when they do are usually rock bass, largemouth, pike or pumpkinseed, very occasionally crappie. The spot is along a major weedline that runs into a very shallow flat about 3' deep. Later in the day the fish move closer to the weedline/flat but never leave the deep.

I'm not a big fan of the new ice season in zone 17. I believe it will do more harm than good but I'm going to give it a whirl nonetheless..... B) . Sure will be fun finding them.

Good luck to all and be especially careful when exploring unknown territory.

Dan

Guest skeeter99
In the winter crappies move to deeper water. So depending on the lake your fishing deep water may be 10' or 50'. This is were gps comes in handy. If you know where some deep weed lines are that is a great place to start. Also I use a flasher and this actually shows me if there is any fish down the hole. Without this you'll probably be putting in a lot more time in locating them. Some lakes may be featureless in the main basin and they may just hover within 5' of the bottom. So in you don't have a flasher just start at the bottom and keep working your way up in 1' increments as a guide. Good luck out there. I hope this puts you in the right direction.

crappie move into deeper water???????????????

yeah they move over deeper water but the masses are just below the ice surface

hammer time on scugog like this all the guys fishing 3 feet or deeper hardly get fish those fishing 3 feet up get all of them non stop?????

crappie move into deeper water???????????????

yeah they move over deeper water but the masses are just below the ice surface

hammer time on scugog like this all the guys fishing 3 feet or deeper hardly get fish those fishing 3 feet up get all of them non stop?????

Ok that's good to know. I'll try in next time I'm out there. For most of the spots I fish the crappies are deep 20'.

• 2 months later...
I'm with you Jer...It is going to be hit and miss finding the crappie thru the ice...

I'm thinking at last ice that they may be just outside the places we get them in the spring but for first ice...who knows?

Lake Scugog is not a very good example as it is mostly shallow everywhere...At Jack Lake we got them in 20 to 30 fow...

And I gotta agree with you on the open water fishing next year...ice out...boat in...no waiting until the 4th Saturday of April...Hopefully we will not have to contend with the jerks who anchor their boats right where we cast in one of our favorite shorefishing spots...Opening weekend has become a zoo...

I'm going to make a post on a crappie site to see if they might have some tips for icefishing...

They have crappie sites?