The giants are coming...

fishingisliving

The summer is behind us, the water temps are dropping to the low pre-freezing mark and the fish metabolisms are slowing down. This means the fish are retaining their body fat which they will need to survive the cold of winter. It’s great to remember the traditional but flawed “rules” of musky fishing many of us believed to be the way things worked: “muskies only feed in the fall”, “they only have teeth in the fall”, “ they feed more often in the fall so they can get fat for the winter”. Although there is some small truths buried within each of these quotes, it’s not as it once was believed to be many years ago. We set out in the cold, the wind, the sun, the rain and snow to learn, experience and catch giants!

The biggest key in the fall like in the early season, the more time you spend on the water the more successful you will be. I am not referring to the odds, but rather becoming tuned in to where they live, what they are eating, what makes them move and when they are more likely to smack as sometimes it's a territorial thing. All these things are very difficult to figure out if you don’t spend time on water regularly and often, bait moves around, some spots have bait but will not produce muskies. Why? Your guess is as good as mine, but the fact remains they don’t produce muskies. So you can waste a lot of precious fishing time trying to locate bait then when you do, you have to figure out what they want to eat, or at least bite. Weather, winds, pressure, water temps, sunrise, moon rise, moon set, sun set,up current, down current, deep, shallow, wow it’s a lot to process. So how to get started? Spend some time on the water…

So where are the giants? Well on our quest for a giant we had to go through the little guys

littlefallfatty1.jpg

Umm.. yeah this fish is held out as close to camera as possible, ( gotta squeeze every inch out of this fish for the viewers so we look good. Ahh come on, everyone does it :P )

littlefallfatty2.jpg

littlefallfatty3.jpg

This one looks very similar to the first one, could we have hooked the same fish twice? it's possible!

The little fish gave us such good fights, it was incredible. They pulled drag out of our reels so fast and hard, we were convinced we had a fatso every time. After each fish make sure you check every inch from your knot to the leader, then the hooks, even the split rings. The fish can damage or bend things which weakens the whole setup. You dont want your leader or hook to give out when you have a big fish on. It's a lot of fun when you hook into multiple fish in the fall, but what about the giants?

Patience, they are coming...

Stay tuned!

:D

Awesome fish - my only comment would be you talk about the rules but add no value to anyone learning - this site is both educational and connecting fisherman who all want to catch and release all (or twice in picture 1 and 3???)

I agree I am new to Canada from Australia and caught many in the summer - the fall has seen me lose the muskie - time is not an issue ill be out there tomorrow - yep im getting them spasmodically but there are not many posts the last month - is it really true the bite gets better?

Awesome fish and put them back so I can release them later and enjoy a brew

Thanks for the write up and pictures! Was like reading an article in a musky magazine, quite the information.

Wow, #1 and #3 might be the same fish! I've been going back and forth with the marks on the gillplate and I can't see a difference, lol

The black mark/spot on those muskies gill plate make them the same one.