crank baits still effective in fall weather?

sandmann

I would say you can still use crankbaits but I would use them later in the day when the water temp goes up a bit and I would use a smaller profile bait and work it back to the boat much slower. You should still get some reaction bites that way. Also I'd look for deeper weed beds as the bass will probably be in deeper water this time of year. Good luck.

You might catch one or 2 fish with a cranbait, but they'll be few and far between if you're targeting Bass. An X Rap with long pauses would be a better choice... But!... there is one bait that is overlooked and really shines at this time of year...

It's the vibrating blade bait!, like the Cicada and others.

Here's a link with some tips.

http://fishsenselures.com/fish_sense_lures_how_to.htm

Ontario should be in a late Fall pattern. Look for Bass on the last remaining weed beds. I'd start looking in about 10 -12 feet of water and work outward. Ideally these beds might be on inside turns of the first deep break line coming off of a cove, bay or large flat.

If the water temp. is still above 40F, crankbaits should work quite well. Work the areas I mentioned, don't expect to find Bass on mid-lake humps or rocky points at this time of year.

As always, the predators will follow the bait. At this time of year the bait will move toward the shallows and locate around those weeds that are still alive outside of coves etc.

When the water suddenly cools, many schools of minnows suffer large die-offs. If you find the weeds and the crankbait bite is slow, you might want to try yo-yoing a Rattle Trap or the Cicada type bait mentioned in another post. A jigging spoon might also be good in deeper water. These baits can be worked at steep angles or vertically to imitating unhealthy or dying minnows.

When the water suddenly cools, many schools of minnows suffer large die-offs. If you find the weeds and the crankbait bite is slow, you might want to try yo-yoing a Rattle Trap or the Cicada type bait mentioned in another post. A jigging spoon might also be good in deeper water. These baits can be worked at steep angles or vertically to imitating unhealthy or dying minnows.

Its probably older than most on this board but a Mann's Little George tipped with a piece of dewy works very well for this type of presentation.

You might catch one or 2 fish with a cranbait, but they'll be few and far between if you're targeting Bass. An X Rap with long pauses would be a better choice... But!... there is one bait that is overlooked and really shines at this time of year...

It's the vibrating blade bait!, like the Cicada and others.

Here's a link with some tips.

http://fishsenselures.com/fish_sense_lures_how_to.htm

I'll second that. The blade bait is largely overlooked as a cold-water smallie bait. When I go looking for them in tackle shops, the owners always tell me "but those are for ice-fishing".