what's up with bronte?

fishinguypat

I'd check out the Credit before I'd check Bronte.. Always fish in that river :)

Erindale Park!!!! bahahahahahaha,...not my cup of tea, but there are definately fish, if what you are looking for is the city crowd no challenge type of fishing,...GIVER, there are people fishing there ALWAYS unless it is completely blown.

There are only 2 or 3 river within 3 hrs driving distance of GTA that are not impacted by rainfall. The rest of the rivers require rain to bring in good # of fish. After a rain, there is a window of opportunity for each river. This could be 1 day after a rain, 2 days after, 3 days after 4 days after, 5 days after and is is different for each river. For example, to go to Bronte in the river and expecting to catch fish this coming Saturday is futile because it hasn't rained for over 10 days.

1 day after a rain I know which rivers to go to. 2 days after a rain I know which rivers to go to. etc. etc. No rain for 20 days, I know which rivers to go to. The more rivers you know and how long they take to get "green" the better you odds are of being at the right river at the right time. You want to be on the river when there are lots of fish in there. That the first part. NO matter how good you are at hooking fish, you won't hook any if the fish aren't there.

The second part is being good at getting fish to bite.

Edited by TobascoCat

Erindale Park!!!! bahahahahahaha,...not my cup of tea, but there are definately fish, if what you are looking for is the city crowd no challenge type of fishing,...GIVER, there are people fishing there ALWAYS unless it is completely blown.

The guy wants a steelhead, the Credit is a easy place for him to get into something...

The runs are well defined and you'd have to be blind to miss them..

Great place to get the confidence up.

Biggest problem with Bronte is that there's just no water left in it. All those new subdivisions in Waterdown and the north end of Burlington have dropped the water level significantly. The only time Bronte flows high enough to attract fish is right after a huge rain. But by the time the water starts to clear, it has dropped to such a low level that legitimate fishing is very difficult. With even modest crowds, it becomes nearly impossible.

Like TonyB, I live within walking distance of Bronte, but gave up fishing it many years ago. Time to fish has become a precious thing for me, so I don't waste it fighting crowds for one or two terrified fish that have been dodging three-prongs since they arrived from the lake.

There are just too many other places that are far more rewarding.

Biggest problem with Bronte is that there's just no water left in it. All those new subdivisions in Waterdown and the north end of Burlington have dropped the water level significantly. The only time Bronte flows high enough to attract fish is right after a huge rain. But by the time the water starts to clear, it has dropped to such a low level that legitimate fishing is very difficult. With even modest crowds, it becomes nearly impossible.

Like TonyB, I live within walking distance of Bronte, but gave up fishing it many years ago. Time to fish has become a precious thing for me, so I don't waste it fighting crowds for one or two terrified fish that have been dodging three-prongs since they arrived from the lake.

There are just too many other places that are far more rewarding.

Even hitting Bronte in the perfect post-rain conditions isn't a gaurantee for fish anymore, and that is what is frustrating.

I've experienced a steep decline in success rate over the last 3 years at Bronte, and yet an exponential increase in success when I fish other waters. I chalk it up to simply having to learn to work extremely hard to catch 1 or 2 fish in a day...so when I fish areas that hold numbers of fish now, I realize that I don't really suck that bad afterall :D

I've recently had my PB day for numbers of fish this year with 30 to the bank and over 75 hooked...that day made up for the years of Bronte frustration in a matter of minutes.

Pat, don't be so harsh...get out your fishing regulations booklet, roadmap, spend some $ on fuel, and put in some legwork on any of the sizeable tributaries that flow into any of the Great Lakes. I am betting in no time, you too will find success and that sweet spot that you will want to keep all to yourself.

Tony

thanks guys i'm glad to hear this :).... yeah i'm not goin to bronte or credit. during the winter i'm checking out a different stream hehe...in a fishing magazine i read that the credit river has had 1000 + steelhead come in since the last year thanks to CRAA..and that in a few years it will be the best steelhad river in ontario? do you think this will be true?

thanks guys i'm glad to hear this :).... yeah i'm not goin to bronte or credit. during the winter i'm checking out a different stream hehe...in a fishing magazine i read that the credit river has had 1000 + steelhead come in since the last year thanks to CRAA..and that in a few years it will be the best steelhad river in ontario? do you think this will be true?

I'll take the 'Geen over the Credit any day...

But that's just personal opinion..

in a fishing magazine i read that the credit river has had 1000 + steelhead come in since the last year thanks to CRAA..and that in a few years it will be the best steelhad river in ontario? do you think this will be true?

My fingers are crossed :)