Muskie rod?

gogu392

Depends what lure you use. A generic would be 7-8ft Heavy-Xheavy. Look at some of the St.Croix Triumph rods to start with or move it up to a Premier. Hell even an Abu Ambassador will work. Definitly look at a bait caster that has a DEEP spool like a Shimano Curado 301 or any of the large bait cast reels. Look on spending atleast 300 for a decent setup.

i use a st. croix seven foot medium heavy with 80lb braid on an abu C3 i find it perfect for everything except trolling the big baits but im not right into musky like others on the board id just check the classifieds you will probably find a better deal

That's more for pike and big walleyes than for musky. However, it will work for smaller muskies but not for the serious musky fisherman.

I would go for at least a heavy wieght rod of about 7 feet long. Capable of casting big lures like "Suicks" and real big spinnerbaits. A medium action rod with lots of backbone but can absorb shocks and not rip the lure from the fish's mouth. I would also recommend the Curado 300 if there is going to be any casting done.

Edited by Dabluz

i use the shimano compre 7'6 Heavy rod and i really enjoy it.

the reel i use is the abu record 61 reel..

65 pound test as i generally only fish scugog for muskie and i doubt i will ever land something even close to 50. soo i figure 65 will be good enough.

in the mid summer i use a 7 foot extra heavy so i can make sure i can pull the big boys out from the weeds. much harder to cast with this rod though.

cheers

That's more for pike and big walleyes than for musky. However, it will work for smaller muskies but not for the serious musky fisherman.

I would go for at least a heavy wieght rod of about 7 feet long. Capable of casting big lures like "Suicks" and real big spinnerbaits. A medium action rod with lots of backbone but can absorb shocks and not rip the lure from the fish's mouth. I would also recommend the Curado 300 if there is going to be any casting done.

Nothing wrong with Rod D's set up its actually pretty versitile. big lures like "Suicks" Ha!!!