To keep from freezing

Dara

I wouldn't put any "dry gas" in any of my outboards.....this stuff is NOT good for the seals...I would be using Marine Sta-Bil if anything. Here's some info I copied and pasted on Ethanol:

Ethanol advocates have been mobilizing forces with the Environmental Protection Agency to increase ethanol content in gasoline from E10 to E15.

The National Marine Manufacturers Association points out that there are 18 million boats currently in operation in the United States, and none of them has been designed, certified or warranted to run on anything above E10.NMAA notes that increased ethanol blends will cause performance problems with boat engines, increase maintenance costs, potentially pose safety risks, and increase air pollution. E15 will also void manufacturer warranties.

Neither the EPA nor any other federal agency has done a single test on the impacts of E15 on marine engines, fuel systems, or components.

NMMA seeks support of a science-first approach and urges people to support an E15 waiver request unless until independent and comprehensive scientific testing is completed on a full range of marine engines and other products.

To voice opposition to this proposal, go to tinyurl.com/de8pn8.

Gas line anti-freeze should not be used in any vehicle. If you need the stuff it's because you buy it from a place that doesn't have good facilities to store gas.

If you want to use gas in small engines during cold weather, never gas up from the pump directly to the motor. Fill your gas can and then leave the gas can outdoors. Any water in the gas will freeze and drop to the bottom of the gas can.

Then, pour the gas into the engine while using a funnel with a filter. A felt filter. The gas going into the small engine will be clean and free of water or ice.

Water in the fuel is a big problem here in northern Quebec during the winter. When it's -40 and you want to start your snowmobile, the fuel has to be in perfect condition.

Using alcohol to melt the ice crystals will work for a little while but when the mixture of gas and water goes through the carb, it gets very very cold and the carb clogs up. This means you have to pour boiling water on the carb to melt the ice. In any event, after a short while, the alcohol in the gas will evaporate away and leave you with ice and/or water.