NF Fireplace Info

FLEX ROD

This board is great and if I can I would rather give some work to a board member so here is my question.......

I have a roughed in fireplace in my basement and I have one upstairs, the one upstairs is done as as gas but the one that is in the basement I want it to be wood burning, they are on seperate fluets so I need a damper and fipe proof bricks installed, do we have a member in this line of work?

Please send me an PM with your contact info and I will get back to you.

Thank you ,

FLEX

Bump, any body?

Please and thank you.

FLEX

I'm not suggesting it's a lost art yet, but there are fewer and fewer woodburners being installed. Some places have even banned them for pollution reasons etc. I suspect there aren't a lot of folks specializing in this kind of work any more. They're all doing gas installs or at best metal fireboxes.

JF

I'm not suggesting it's a lost art yet, but there are fewer and fewer woodburners being installed. Some places have even banned them for pollution reasons etc. I suspect there aren't a lot of folks specializing in this kind of work any more. They're all doing gas installs or at best metal fireboxes.

JF

some places have banned them because of sucky neighbors complaining.

I heat with wood now, and my next house will have wood as well. Who can afford gas or electric!!

I would love to get a wood burning stove in my house now but I've got to wait for the kids to get a bit older for safety reasons...

I wish I had pic's of the old house basement to show you the work my father and uncle did, it was amazing!

If I remember this weekend...I'll take pic's of the work they did at my folks current house/cottage...

I would love to get a wood burning stove in my house now but I've got to wait for the kids to get a bit older for safety reasons...

I wish I had pic's of the old house basement to show you the work my father and uncle did, it was amazing!

If I remember this weekend...I'll take pic's of the work they did at my folks current house/cottage...

My daughter was 3 and my son was 6 months old when I got my house with a wood burning stove.

I built a little picket fence around it to keep them away.

Yep..like Dara. The kids aren't as dumb as you think. We had a door flapper franklin when the first two kids were under 2 and a few weeks old and have had them ever since. It's like the stove in the kitchen.. teach them to stay away from it. Kitchen stove is probably more dangerous than a fireplace or woodstove.

I trust my kids (daughter 6, son 3) but it's the kids my wife looks after (as she has a in-home daycare) that I don't trust... ;)

Hence the fence. I wasn't taking any chances of the dog knocking them into it either.

It was just a little picket fence made from 1x2 pine, varnished up to look nice, and removable so I could get to it for emptying ashes and such

Thanks guys, I did PM BricksNblock but he has not been on the boeard since September so I do not know if he will see my PM.

FLEX

FLEX, do you want me to ask my uncle who is a brick layer?

Hence the fence. I wasn't taking any chances of the dog knocking them into it either.

It was just a little picket fence made from 1x2 pine, varnished up to look nice, and removable so I could get to it for emptying ashes and such

Ahh, I see. Good idea. I still have a year to wait as this is a new house so I don't want to finish the basement 100% yet. But thanks (no intent to hijack the thread either).

Do you have a chimeny already in place then?

Reading your post seems to suggest you have a gas "insert" installed into a pre-existing wood burning fireplace mantel?

If that is the case your situation might be a bit complicated depending on where the gas has been vented...

I'm not sure you can even do that by Code?