mud terrains in the snow

Raf

i currently have a set of mud terrains on my cherokee.. how will they handle the white stuff? will 'siping' make a big difference? not sure how much life cherry has left in her & would prefer not to buy a new set of all-terrains or snows.

i'm seeing conflicting opinions Roy. some guys are saying they're fine, some say the really aggressive mud terrains will be aweful but 'tamer' versions will be fine. i could get mine siped for very little $$$ if that will make a difference. mine have holes for studs but of course, that's not legal in ON.

i also have a set of mud&snow no-seasons that i could put on.. they're far from new but would likely do the winter.

Edited by Raf

the mud terrains will work but not very well. the siping is in the tire to help pump water out and provide traction edges in wet/winter driving conditions what size you need may be able to get you some good options

i have two sets of wheels, 15" and 16"

235/70/16 & 235/75/15 is what I run on them. I believe that's about a 29.

Edited by Raf

Raf, BF MT's aren't bad in the snow... keep in mind, I think our RWD Astro van handles good in the snow too so your mileage may vary.

Chunky treads clump up with snow and don't clear well.... Mud Kings, Pro Comps, Super Swampers etc.

BFG MT's are a tighter but still agressive tread pattern. True mud runners laugh at the notion of them being mud tires. They should be considered an AT tire.

Don't get me wrong; they're a great tire overall, just not a great 'mud' tire.

I had 29's-33's on my XJ. The best winter tire was the 32x9 BFG AT. The best all around tire was the Goodyear MTR 31" and my 33" BFG MT were too big for the street and too wide for the snow. Tons o fun offroad though!

Siping your 29's will help especially in slushy wet weather but probably negligable difference in snow.

31" Toyo OC AT's going on my Suburban tomorrow to replace the Mich LTX AT's. I hope I don't regret it!

Sometimes wide is good floating your 2' ground clearance on 2 1/2 feet of snow!

DSC03062.jpg