The Progression of a Steelhead Newby

laszlo

How long is that handle? Holy crap!

lol....yeah it long ....its attached to my 15 foot salmon rod ...we have a fresh run just come in and i didnt have any roe ..so i was targeting the salmon and caught the bow..lol...

the handle is 28 inches long ....lotsa backbone for turning salmon around out of the current

lol....yeah it long ....its attached to my 15 foot salmon rod ...we have a fresh run just come in and i didnt have any roe ..so i was targeting the salmon and caught the bow..lol...

the handle is 28 inches long ....lotsa backbone for turning salmon around out of the current

Isn't that always the way? I'd love a 15'er for the 'Geen.

And it goes a little somethin' like this...HIT IT!

FIRST STEELHEAD

p1020860.jpg

Seriously though guys. Thanks for all the help and info. After 5 failed attempts this is maybe the

most rewarding fish I've ever caught.

Now for some more!

Brah that was a sweet little jaunt down the rivah.. Glad to see ya arc the new raven! :lol:

Discovered a new shot pattern.. Long tippet, short lead, bulk shot. B)

gallery_439_66_198045.jpg

Let's do that again real soon. We need bigger water!!

Whatcha doing tomorrow?! :D

FIRST STEELHEAD

p1020860.jpg

Seriously though guys. Thanks for all the help and info. After 5 failed attempts this is maybe the

Now for some more!

Congrats!

Wow,

What a journey!

Fidel is a great closer,

He's guided me through some adventures and hid "evidence".

thumbs up! :P

FIRST STEELHEAD

p1020860.jpg

Now for some more!

Anyone notice the egg trail falling out of this fish???

How common are the fall spawners?

Edited by laszlo

Anyone notice the egg trail falling out of this fish???

How common are the fall spawners?

Again, congrats on your first fish!

Fall spawners are relatively common and are usually stocked fish which originated in a NY hatchery where they manipulate the photoperiod in order to induce fall spawning characteristics so that eggs may be taken in the fall. Based on the appearance of your fish's dorsal fin which is somewhat deformed (a common trait of hatchery fish due to crowding in the rearing pens) it's probably safe to assume that fish came from one of these NY hatcheries.

GEAR UPDATE:

#12 Hooks

Micro Swivels

5.6 lb Flourocarbon Leaders

Up to this point I've been using larger hooks tied straight on to 8lb Flourocarbon main line.

Going fishing Monday morning for a few hours. We'll see if this improvement in gear leads to more

fish. It is going to be tough though with clear low water conditions.

Gettin better all the time, although, I wouldnt reccomend that Raven Leader,...they make quality rods,..but I have lost way too many fish on their leader,...I have always been a fan of Drennan (owned by Raven) and although the diameter is huge for the line rating, it rarely lets me down. Recently I became a fan of Froghair also. Try Drennan 3lb or Froghair 6.6 lb (same diameter, hence the diameter of the leader is usually more important than the lb test quoted) for the slower clear conditions. You can go lower and land small fish, but when you get the big one on,..you will wish you hadn't. Also, that location we have pm'd about can stand Drennan 4lb ,5lb, and even 6lb leader almost anytime due to how dirty it usually is. cheers, good luck.

Forgot to mention, Hook type/brand is important also, some are alot stronger than others, and go to #14 in the clearer conditions. When the brute gets on, even if your leader is well suited, if your hook sucks, it may bend and still cause you to lose fish,...this has happened to me MANY times. That being said, I prefer to lose a fish this way than with a broken leader and hook stuck in the fish's yap. ;)

Edited by StoneFly

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

in my steelhead infancy i was told similar info to this:

"when fish are biting, you can toss spoons in the morning and any kind of float presentation much of the day and have results. when fishing is slower, pick a leader and a hook you think might be JUST too small, and go one size smaller."

this gent's steelhead career was in VERY small tribs, very short runs, and very clear/shallow water...

p.s. i like raven 4.5 lb.

i just got 8 lb and 6lb fluorocarbon ... the six is the thinnest line i have ever used i think its 0.08 mm or lower

ItsPat ,..careful on that stuff,...i think the IGFA rating may be around 4 ounces,...lol. you may lose some smolts due to breakoff ,...but let me get this straight,..you were pairing that up with 12lb mono? LOL Cmon,..you are totally messing with everyone on this board,.....get real

Great thread guys. Steelheading has certainly come a long way since I cut my teeth on a few local rivers in the early 70's. The ultimate setup back then on the north shore of Superior was a Fenwick fiberglass fly rod (8' was good. 9' was better) suited up with Martin 72 multiplying fly reel loaded with 10 lb. test Stren mono. Bottom bouncing with a stream side tied yarn fly was the ticket. We used to have a sinker pouring party each spring. 3/8 oz. egg sinkers were the choice. We'd go through thousands of them back in the day. And we caught fish. Lots of fish. In my hay day I used to catch a few hundred fish per spring. Times have certainly changed. It seems that you need a long rod and and expensive line holder to be successful now. I don't know why that is. I don't fish Steelhead in the traditional way way anymore, but I can catch a bunch with a 7 or 8 ' spinning setup when I'm so inclined. I'm guessing that I've caught well over 1000 Steelhead in my day and not one has been caught on a float setup. I wonder what Steelhead fishing will be like 30 years from now?

Great thread guys. Steelheading has certainly come a long way since I cut my teeth on a few local rivers in the early 70's. The ultimate setup back then on the north shore of Superior was a Fenwick fiberglass fly rod (8' was good. 9' was better) suited up with Martin 72 multiplying fly reel loaded with 10 lb. test Stren mono. Bottom bouncing with a stream side tied yarn fly was the ticket. We used to have a sinker pouring party each spring. 3/8 oz. egg sinkers were the choice. We'd go through thousands of them back in the day. And we caught fish. Lots of fish. In my hay day I used to catch a few hundred fish per spring. Times have certainly changed. It seems that you need a long rod and and expensive line holder to be successful now. I don't know why that is. I don't fish Steelhead in the traditional way way anymore, but I can catch a bunch with a 7 or 8 ' spinning setup when I'm so inclined. I wonder what Steelhead fishing will be like 30 years from now?

sit at a computer and operate a mechanical fishing dude so you dont even have to leave the house :dunno:

or go to the supermarket and buy farmed fish suitable for consumption

Edited by Twocoda

Great thread guys. Steelheading has certainly come a long way since I cut my teeth on a few local rivers in the early 70's. The ultimate setup back then on the north shore of Superior was a Fenwick fiberglass fly rod (8' was good. 9' was better) suited up with Martin 72 multiplying fly reel loaded with 10 lb. test Stren mono. Bottom bouncing with a stream side tied yarn fly was the ticket. We used to have a sinker pouring party each spring. 3/8 oz. egg sinkers were the choice. We'd go through thousands of them back in the day. And we caught fish. Lots of fish. In my hay day I used to catch a few hundred fish per spring. Times have certainly changed. It seems that you need a long rod and and expensive line holder to be successful now. I don't know why that is. I don't fish Steelhead in the traditional way way anymore, but I can catch a bunch with a 7 or 8 ' spinning setup when I'm so inclined. I'm guessing that I've caught well over 1000 Steelhead in my day and not one has been caught on a float setup. I wonder what Steelhead fishing will be like 30 years from now?

Ummmm Dan,...Are you talking North Superior? My guess is the next spot in 30 years is the moon,..they just discovered water there dont you know lol :lol:

Ummmm Dan,...Are you talking North Superior? My guess is the next spot in 30 years is the moon,..they just discovered water there dont you know lol :lol:

There's no Steelhead on the moon. Only Brook Trout. But we will plant them there just because we can, and because it will be convenient for some people to catch them there. And thus, the moon will be ruined too. We discovered water on the moon just last week. Look for invasive species to be there in a month or two.

ItsPat ,..careful on that stuff,...i think the IGFA rating may be around 4 ounces,...lol. you may lose some smolts due to breakoff ,...but let me get this straight,..you were pairing that up with 12lb mono? LOL Cmon,..you are totally messing with everyone on this board,.....get real

wait its actually 0.09 mm and what do you mean pairing it with 12 lb mono?