The Progression of a Steelhead Newby

laszlo

Lazlo,

First off, great thread! I'm sure many anglers, new to steelheading, are learning as well.

Below is a link to shotting patterns. 90% of the time, I will bulk shot. I would also suggest one of two things, 1) wait for a decent amount of rain so that the rivers rise and fish them while they drop and clear up (your chances of hitting some fish will be higher), and 2) if you are adament on hooking into a steelhead before we get rain, target the estuaries and river mouths. Fish will move in and out waiting until the rivers rise so they can make their way upstream.

Good luck.

http://www.anglersinternational.com/Shotting%20Patterns.pdf

Las ...pick up a couple more colours of netting ...natural /pink/red mix up the colours till you find whats working chartreuse and white are prominent colours for here ...but you arent here

when i go to other areas i usually have an arsenal of colours until i figure out whats working ....

man are you ever going to appreciate your first hook up....keep it up " it will happen"

these are all good advices for sure coming from people likely more experienced than I am. That being said,..you dont always have to wait for a rain if you know where to go. What I would do on one river is extremely different from what I would do on another, not too mention different holes on a given river,...given the same rain patterns....take an inch of rain and some rivers arent fishable for days, some are immediately. Some are always so dirty you can stand with a clown suit on and not spook the fish, others you have to hide bigtime,...then theres the rigging and bait differences,...blah blah blah,...you will learn dude,..you mentioned DMASSE, he knows his stuff, I have learned ALOT from him and I dare say he has learned a little from me,...but I kicked his butt a couple times under tough conditions...that being said,..he beats me 10x more,..not that its a competition...lol... :whistling:

Went last night again and got skunked tossing spinners.

Raptorfan lost his headlamp in the river and I lost my glow spinner...

It was funny seeing his light twirling around in a whirlpool down river lol.

We should have an OFC Steelhead derby :)

Lets all get together on a weekend! :)

Edited by Ultyma316

The CRAA runs an annual steelhead derby and pairs inexperienced with experienced guys. It's a great way to learn directly from an expert and the prizes aren't too shabby either!

Justin Elia will have details in the spring, assuming he is running it in 2010...

Laszlo...going to be a tough weekend without rain. Try to think about bigger flows/river systems & also river mouths of larger, known steelhead runs.

Tony

I'm on the same boat. Going out east for most of the day with a larger arsenal. I had realized that I bought mono leader and I'm guessing that is not too great when the water is gin clear lol. I'm going to try to hit every trib from toronto to port hope for my first real steelhead!

Congrats Laz. Earlier this week Fidel was saying to me he was thinking of taking you out to try to get you into some fish...Glad he did

Once you hook your first one, there's no stopping the urge for another, or another :D

Steelheading is like an addiction which can't be cured...My own life has been spiraling out of control mainly because of my need for chrome steel :lol:

First cast and my float went down, I set the hook, 'thought' I had a fish on to realize it was just a snag. Couldn't get it off and ended up braking my line but right at the hook so I just had to re-tie

a new one. Next cast and...float goes down again, set the hook and...fish on!!! One nice jump and brought her to the bank. Beauty 3.5 pound female with great colours. Picked her up for a couple pics to see eggs were coming out of her. Let her go.

15 minutes later Fidel (Highdrifter) hooks a fish. Very little fight. Once we got her to the bank Fidel says "is this the same fish you just caught?" Looked exactly the same, didn't have much energy

and eggs dropping out of her. Let her go again.

This was around 7am and I stayed until 8:20. Off to work.

Fidel will be sending me pics this evening.

And it goes a little somethin' like this...HIT IT!

FIRST STEELHEAD

p1020860.jpg

Seriously though guys. Thanks for all the help and info. After 5 failed attempts this is maybe the

most rewarding fish I've ever caught.

Now for some more!