Favorite casting rod for muskie??

muskieb

Currently I have a 6' med/heavy action rod with I think a 6500 Abu baitcaster that I bought several years ago for muskie fishing. Nice rod, just not the best for casting.

What would all you seasoned muskie anglers suggest a guy buy for a nice casting rod for muskie? What length, action, even brand do you find is nice to work with and at the same time not brutally expensive?

As far as reels, from what I have read on here the Abu's and Shimano's seem to be the most popular, and I am guessing money is the main factor that makes that decision for most.

I expecting to have to spend about $300-400 on a package without spooling the reel. Will that amount of money put me into a decent package?

Personally, I like the 7' 6" MH St. Croix Premiers for casting....PM76MHF..... but it's pretty hard to tell someone else what'll work best for them.

The Shimano Compre is also an excellent rod and won't set you back too much money.

You'll pretty well have to go to the store and try them out yourself to get the feel of them.

If you can manage the price, a Shimano Calcutta is an excellent reel and about as good as you'll need. There's different models, so you'll have to decide how high you want to go.

If your looking for a lower priced reel that will serve you well, the Acu C-3 6500 is an excellent choice.

You may also be interested in a Pete Maina musky rod / reel combo from BBS. Its a very good set-up and the whole bill is only about $200

I'm going to agree with Lew on the St.Croix rod.

The BPS Pete Mania series is a great value, and an excellent quality.

Take a trip to JB's and test feel the St.Croix rods, Shimano rods, and whatever other musky rods he has in stock with your choice of reels. What works for one person, may not be a good fit for someone else.

Buy the best you can afford, and you will not regret

John

Personally, I like the 7' 6" MH St. Croix Premiers for casting....PM76MHF..... but it's pretty hard to tell someone else what'll work best for them.

I have this exact same rod and it is a beauty! I would definately take a look at this rod when considering your purchase.

Cheers,

Tony

yep, that 7'6 is a great all-round rod. Once you get sucked in further to the addiction (and you will), you'll start seeing the benefits of shorter or longer rods for the different applications. However, as a start the 7'6" is a great option.

You should be able to get a St.Croix Abu C3 combo at or just south of $300.

i am probably over complicating things for you; the 7'6" is a great choice and if I were to have just one, it's what I'd get.

it would depend on what you are casting. some guys prefer a shorter rod for jerkbaits (I use 6'9") and longer rods for topwaters/bucktails (I use an 8').

Edited by Raf

Everybody says abu and st croix for a reason they are good quality and price, with good customer service. The one rods I don't see mentioned to much are Fenwicks musky rods I have 2 older Fenwicks (hmg) that are very nice, also the st croix ac300 reel is the exact same as the Daiwa luna, (daiwa makes them) just has the st croix label on the side with some different cosmetics but same parts.

Like mentioned above the shorter rods are used for jerkbaits, and some guys like 9' rods for bucktails, I basically found 6'6 for jerks, 7'6-8' for bucktails is what I like best.

Thankyou everyone for your input. As suggested I will head out and see what feels right to me. John you put a smile on my face mentioning Fenwick, I have had a couple of their spinning rods over the years and really like them, might check them out too.

As far as length I will pick up a 7/6 or 8 as I already have a short rod. Going to be a great summer!

HI,

Several folks mentioned the Bass Pro rods/combos. Before the price allows you to assume the quality is so-so, you should check out the Bass Pro line (especially if near a store) ... as some extra "lure" money will be available. If you're looking for a longer rod, I'd suggest the 8' 6" two-piece. Great all-purpose caster and doubles as a great troller.

Pete

Hey Muskieb,I use a couple of various rods,last few years mainly because of Maina,I've gone to 8 foot rods.Leveates alots of stress on the back and offers what I consider a good fight and control.May seem odd at first casting with long rods but you really begin to enjoy the control of your lure and fish once you setlle into it.The 2 Rods I've gone to are 8 foot compre's (1 pi3ce)and Pete Maina rod at BPS 8.6 foot (2 piece).Both are of high quality and affordable.Both back up their product very well

Both offer a great balance between casting and trolling

Rells,well I am a Calcutta man,but the maina reel has an extremely good dependability given the price.

Many other products out there,sure you"ll find something to your liking

marc

I would look at the Shimano Compre Muskie rods. They have a great selection with a lifetime warranty. For the reels the new Shimano Curado300 is just incredible. The testing done on this reel was amazing. Saw the video footage at the fishing show and was amazed at what these reels can do and take. For your budget it would be a great combo.