Trailer plates (private sale)

John Bacon

I am trying to sell my boat trailer privately. I have a question about the proper way to handle the plate.

1) Should I keep the plate and just give the buyer the ownership paper?

2) Do I sell the trailer with the plate on it?

I would feel a lot more comfortable with the first option as I really don't want someone driving around with a plate registered in my name. I don't really have time to go the ministry to cancel the plate; and I really don't want to trust someone to transfer the plate or get their own plate before deciding to start racking up 407 bills or what ever else I could be held responsible for.

What is the normal procedure for a private trailer sale?

Guest skeeter99
I am trying to sell my boat trailer privately. I have a question about the proper way to handle the plate.

1) Should I keep the plate and just give the buyer the ownership paper?

2) Do I sell the trailer with the plate on it?

I would feel a lot more comfortable with the first option as I really don't want someone driving around with a plate registered in my name. I don't really have time to go the ministry to cancel the plate; and I really don't want to trust someone to transfer the plate or get their own plate before deciding to start racking up 407 bills or what ever else I could be held responsible for.

What is the normal procedure for a private trailer sale?

they are yours for life keep the plate, you only give the ownership

if you dont want them turn them in

dont give em to the guy who buys your trailer

Here in the states (Ohio) the plate is registered in your name, it`s yours. The buyer can get in trouble running your plate, fictitious plates. I never give anyone a license plate registered to me. I can`t take the plate off of one vehicle and use it on another with out the same risk, even if I own them both.

Yep.. exactly John. Tear the ownership/plate portion apart. You keep the plate and the plate ownership section. Trailer ownership you sign over to the new guy on the back side of it and give it to him with the trailer. On the new boat/trailer (if you are getting oen)... give the plate portion and the plate to the boat dealer and they will get a new trailer ownership/plate ownership when they register the trailer for you with the MTO.

Edited by irishfield