First Outing to Bronte Creek.. and more..

jaysonmarion@gmail.com

I wanted to post this last night but the site was having a stroke.

I've never been salmon fishing before, and I've never seen anything quite like what I saw on Bronte Creek yesterday.

There had to of been like 50 people fishing in the span of 30 feet. It was crazy.

As we were walking up and down the creek, it was sad to see a bunch of dead salmon on the creek bottom with their bellies slit up :( Very sad.

I didn't have the proper salmon baits, but I read sometimes they strike Mepps spinners, so I tossed one for a bit and didn't get any hits, but man oh man, it was sooooo cool to see a big one come up pretty much to shore and haul butt up the creek, causing huge wake.

It was really cool experiencing that as I have never seen it in person. I think I have salmon fever now.

After that we headed out to the pier by the skyway and talked to a bunch of people there. They were definitely jumping, however I couldn't get any of them to hit my spoons.

Then, I heard of carp under the lift bridge, so I started using corn, and we started catching these...

8323_292421370191_644550191_9228510_7539525_n.jpg

There were alot of seagulls around, and they got fed pretty well with all the gobys I was catching.

It started to get pretty late, so we threw all the corn + worms into the water off the pier, and I casted my worm out one more time.

8323_292421405191_644550191_9228513_382668_n.jpg

This little guy put up quite the run, I was surprised lol. Awesome coloring on this guy. The picture doesn't do it justice.

After that we packed it up and ate some fish+chips down the street at Hutches!

One other thing that I meant to ask.

Is using Marshmallows taboo?

I asked a few relatives and they said thats what they used to use back in the day to catch trout and salmon in the creeks.

Then I read threads on here where people are getting flamed to holy hell for using them...

The reason they are flamed is because they are only used to float up your hook to assist in lining fish(legal snagging if you will). Ear plugs work just the same. Some companies have decided to profit off this and you can now buy colored marshmallows with all types of scents at fishing stores. This is why new fishermen assume it is a legitimate form of fishing. Some of these fishermen happen to use these marshmallows with success, unknown to them is that they are just lining fish. They then come here and post of their "success" to which they are often treated to flaming from the educated members.

Marshmallows isnt taboo.It requires a certain type of presentation that is generally required when using them ( bottom bouncing ) and some people believe that that type of presentation is for lazy fishermen...( sit and wait). Sometimes issues come up when a bottom bouncer (regardless of the bait) casts into a moving pool that float fisherman are using and they have to cut their drifts short due to a stationary technique....so some people frown upon it ..im not saying its wrong but most times a bottom bouncer is new to fishing and sometimes over looks consideration to other fisherman and their techniques. Some rivers in the Maritimes when fishing pools after three casts in the same spot its an unwritten law that you take three steps down the pool and repeat until you are at the end of the pool in which you step out of the water and walk to the top of the pool and start over ....

The technique is best used in deep slow moving pools /harbours ( ideally where float fisherman are not at )

I planned on heading back there later tonight (Since its been raining pretty good since last night), and I was thinking of trying a some marshmellows, but I don't want to come here and get flamed if I catch something lol... Nor do I want to be pushed in the creek, or who knows what else....

I guess your not from "The Hammer"

You mentioned you lastly went to Hutches---an old time popular spot

Out in Aldershot--there is another Oldie--Esterbrooks

Best foot longs in the world---Really cool old (Original) atmosphere---wood floors--old booths---even the old water filled pop cooler (last time I was there)

old pics like Hutch's

Both these places are nice reminders when Hamilton was'nt a bad place to live.

I guess your not from "The Hammer"

You mentioned you lastly went to Hutches---an old time popular spot

Out in Aldershot--there is another Oldie--Esterbrooks

Best foot longs in the world---Really cool old (Original) atmosphere---wood floors--old booths---even the old water filled pop cooler (last time I was there)

old pics like Hutch's

Both these places are nice reminders when Hamilton was'nt a bad place to live.

Ahhh.. :)

I'm from Brantford :)

Are you not able to legit use marshmallows? Why is it different from other baits to make it flamebait.

I don't understand what you are talking about...

Salmon don't actually bite the marshmallow, the whole point is to float your hook off bottom and snag them by their big hooked mouths. Doesn't have to be a marshmallow, a foam earplug or piece of styrofoam will work just as well. Actually better, ear plugs don't melt.

That's why bottom fishing for salmon is looked down upon as a lazy immoral way to catch a fish.

Was that you & your friend with the pods fishing the channel? The better carp spot is fishing the bay side further south right off Eastport Dr. by the traffic lights.

Salmon don't actually bite the marshmallow, the whole point is to float your hook off bottom and snag them by their big hooked mouths. Doesn't have to be a marshmallow, a foam earplug or piece of styrofoam will work just as well. Actually better, ear plugs don't melt.

That's why bottom fishing for salmon is looked down upon as a lazy immoral way to catch a fish.

Was that you & your friend with the pods fishing the channel? The better carp spot is fishing the bay side further south right off Eastport Dr. by the traffic lights.

Ok I get it now.

Nah that wasn't me. I was with 2 girls Fishing right beside the lift bridge. Then we moved to the lake side.

while i don't dispute it's possible, i would like proof that a salmon or steelhead will not bite a bait that COULD resemble a roe bag.

They'd nail a marshmellow for sure, I've caught more then a few down at Port D on them when I was a kid...

Are they generally used for flossing fish? Yes :)

I got my first ever salmon out of the Credit River last wednesday night on the way home from Bass Pro Shops man. I have been out there again almost every night since. I took a trip up river yesterday, and it was just like you said.....unbelievable. I didn't see much massacre yet though, and I hope I don't. I am also from Brantford area (Mount Pleasant), send a PM if you are into going up one night.