Port Hope salmon

terry71

went there yesterday...close to he inlet. Haven't seen that many people fishing at once.

Lots of fish were being hooked and jumped. A few came up...most looked like they got snagged. I unfortunately couldn't even get one fight, I felt a couple of tugs but only for a few seconds. Was using the regular roe stuff.

but yah....a lotta rain today hoefully things will start flowing in....keep us posted folks.

Been there fairly often, every couple days spend 6-10 hours fishing.. Nothing caught by me yet.. But lots of hits, and had a few on.. Had one almost spool me. good thing for lighter leaders then line.. lol

Couldn't believe the amount of people down there this weekend! Starting to feel like sardine in a can!

With todays/this evenings rain.. Hopefully that will bring in some more smaller ones. Seeing alot of 15-20lbers being taking home. Noticing as time passes, the smaller ones are starting to come in. Not sure if I am going to be back down tomorrow.. Tuesday for sure.

Can't miss me, with the amount of comments im getting on my rod holder.. lol.. Custom made fits in my hitch on my car. :D

Not even as close to as much as they did when they were in the harbour, hence the reason for the 'other' tactics :)

but they still hit. I fish the Lake O. tribs every year and usually get into quite a few and very seldom are they hooked outside the mouth ,that being said I also dont run a 10' lead in 2' water and I don't hook 50 a day like the floss and pop guys do .Salmon hit out of aggresion and the instinct to feed it's been proven they stop feeding during there spawn and I have seen it with my own eyes (cleaned a Lake Erie nook with it's stomach shriveled up and empty) I have also seen tonnes of nooks/ho's move clear across a hole to smash a roe bag aggresion/instinct? personally I dont care as long as they hit they are fun to fight when fresh and ya never know if it's a steely when the float goes down .

Big chunks of red skien will get them to hit, I think it's a matter of agression since the salmon want there area free of competitive salmons spawn. They will attack the spawn of another salmon/ trout to lessen the compititon on there own young. I think this is the reason they hit the skien or roe :dunno::dunno:

Guest gbfisher

:rolleyes: just like most other fish...bass, pike, musky...they hit out of aggression. Feeding or not. It's a caught fish.

Spare us all with the no feeding Bull caca........ :blahblah1:

Just wish it was over. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by gbfisher

Was there yesterday be4 the rain, they were hitting on my baseball size skeins. Lost all three fish, any tips for landing them?

I was using, Okuma Aventa, Fenwick 10'6 Light action and 8lb test. (I know this is challenging, any tips on fish fighting?)

Stayed till 11pm, bottom bouncing did well, was 3/8. I can't say if I'm flossing or the fish are biting, but they were all hooked in the mouth.

The fish are there, but please respect other anglers. Bring your line in when "fish on" and be polite if you do happen to tangle lines.

Hey Bill, salmon do hit when they are in the river. But only when they are still relatively fresh. once they turn black and really ugly yes theystop hitting but maybe thats because they most likely almost blind.

Berge

That's why they didn't look at any of the offerings I was feeding them up here last week :)

Hey young one. Did you break them off or just lose them? If breaking them off, try using fifty pound braid with a 12 pound flourocarbon leader. If just losing them, use bigger hooks and give a firmer hook-set! There's alot of fish kicking around. With light rain in the forecast right up till Friday, should be loaded there by the end of the week. C'mon weekend!

I got to agree with the ticking them off tactic...When I was more avidly angling for fall run salmon in the river I used a fly rod and my flies of choice were very bright in colour.Most of the flies I used kinda looked like woolley buggers on steroids. These flies would get their attention and I've seen the salmon come off their beds and attack a fly five feet away when the water was clear...That was more than ten years back and I'm sure the salmon haven't changed much since then.

I think fishing for salmon in the river can be an ethics game and with lots of different opinions and interpretations as how we do it or even if its a good idea to go after them at all. I personally have decided to leave them be and respect the rights of other fisherman to legally angle for them....

Cheers !!

You must not be "offering" the right things. Or maybe you should stop trying to "feed" them and start trying to tick them off. :P

Trust me, I was smacking them in the nose with pretty much everything.. they were busy chasing each other around trying to mate :)