FishFinder Powersource

johnnyb

Hey guys, I just got my new x67c, and am very excited about using it. So far, I don't have the ice pack, and for the first winter, will use my home-made bracket to hang the skimmer down the hole, as I've done in the past with my older generously proportioned. My question is about power source -- the unit runs off a 12V battery, but, I've never hooked anything up to one of those before.

So....what battery do I get? And how do I wire my x67c into it? Oh, and, how do I charge this battery up?

Help!!

El Cheapo Ghetto Option: 8 pack AA battery holder from The Source/electronics parts store, have to solder connections yourself. Cost around $40 for the batteries, holder, charger if you shop around. Lasts a day of fishing.

pRS1C-2160158w345.jpg

De Luxe Trailer Trash Option: R/C hobby store 12v 7amp, this is the kind of battery used to power remote controlled planes, boats et al. With a bit of creativity you can mesh a case, battery, head unit & transducer into one convenient carry package. Cost around $70 for battery & charger, will last you a whole week with 7amps.

cuda04.jpg

cuda02.jpg

Wiring is pretty straightforward, there should be a diagram with your owner's manual. Just remember to put an inline fuse on the POSITIVE side of the battery, or all that expensive smoke will escape. For a charger any 12v charger will work, just keep the maximum amperage around 10% of battery capacity and you won't have a problem (7amp battery, 0.7amp charger).

More Cash Than Brains Option: Just buy the IcePak :D

I would run one of these batteries it will last about 8-10hrs per charge witch is typically 2 trips for ppl. It's a 12v 7amp Sealed lead acid battery..

Yeah just noticed he was talking about a colour unit, which will cut down the times by half compared to a monochrome, should still get more than 10 hours though, more like double, atleast.

Hey JB

Nice unit...i lurve mine.

Like henry says....go with the sealed lead acid 12V 7amp. On a full charge mine will last upto 3 trips (my outings are usually 8 hour affairs :) ), seems to last longer the colder it is out on the ice.

I have bought 2 little mains chargers now, and both packed up after a couple of months, so now i just use my main boat battery charger on trickle to charge it, bit cumbersome clipping the large aligator clips to the tiny terminals, but works fine.

I also used a homemade bracket for my skimmer transducer for the first winter i had it as the 'iceducer' arrived after the ice had left....lol......but its well worth the extra $60-$70 in my opinion, way less spaghetti hanging around and easy to pack /deploy.

ENJOY BUDDY....THEY ARE THE WAY TO GO ON THE ICE......and now you can join in the fun arguing with the vex/marcum/hummingbird flasher brigade...hehehehe :jerry:

For those of you who have home security systems, you already have a 12V, 7 or 7.5AH battery it the box. This is always kept charged via a transformer on your home power. Buy another battery for the system and keep swapping between the two as you need them. The battery will always be charged when you're ready to go.

Great responses guys...just what I needs!! Thanks :D And Simon, you've given me a new word to use...."lurve". I just lurve icefishing, and can't wait to go! :lol:

Looks like the battery Henry & Limey are talking about is the same battery LakerJessy's Aqua Vu runs off of....so if she's not coming with me, I can steal her battery by the looks of it :) And it would seem I have a charger already :) :) Unless I'm wrong about what kind of battery it is...in which case... :( $$ :(

Edited by johnnyb

Great responses guys...just what I needs!! Thanks And Simon, you've given me a new word to use...."lurve". I just lurve icefishing, and can't wait to go!

Looks like the battery Henry & Limey are talking about is the same battery LakerJessy's Aqua Vu runs off of....so if she's not coming with me, I can steal her battery by the looks of it And it would seem I have a charger already Unless I'm wrong about what kind of battery it is...in which case... $$

Sounds like you're almost nearly ready to roll Johnny!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

You may want to ask permission to use the LLJ's battery... I'd hate to see pics of you all whipped up with black eyes and stuff in a report! ;)

Looking forward to more of your great reports now!

Ask :santa: for the ice-ducer. ;)

Lol...he's already the one who's officially behind the x67c!! That's okay..I will either sell enough cars to justify getting it, will stumble across a steal of a deal, or will survive one season. I definitely WON'T use LJ's battery without asking though :whistling: would never do that

Buy another battery Johnny and take the Aqua Vu icefishing with you. Its the one thing they're good for. I use mine all the time. If the fishing's slow you can screw around & explore with it. Seriously, I usually drill a 2'nd hole near the one I'm manning and put the finder and camera down it.

You can buy the batteries at "The Source" for alot less than a hobby store.

Jack.

• 4 months later...

Anyone recommend how to Mount the ducer? i have a x67c from my boat and just bougth a battery and they only had the softwater ducer...

I was thinking something like this made out of PVC pipe

====----------------------=====

" " run the cord through the pipe

" "

" "

" "

" "

" " Fasten the ducer to the bottem so its straight

I have some pvc sitting in my car for just such a rig, but believe it or not, it hangs just fine by itself. I turned the metal mounting bracket around, to help counterbalance it, and taped a nice chunk of foam around the cable. so far, as long as I straighten the cord out before dropping it in, it works just fine. Was looking at my tube jig on the screen in 65 FOW the other day...good enough for me! :D

I have some pvc sitting in my car for just such a rig, but believe it or not, it hangs just fine by itself. I turned the metal mounting bracket around, to help counterbalance it, and taped a nice chunk of foam around the cable. so far, as long as I straighten the cord out before dropping it in, it works just fine. Was looking at my tube jig on the screen in 65 FOW the other day...good enough for me! :D

good to know ill give it a try on the weekend !