Any comments suzukis?

BFSC Kevin

Kevin I have owned a 55hp Suzuki outboard in the past although they are Ok I would not purchase one again.I had to replace the block and a cylinder not pleased about that .When you need parts they are usually back order from Japan.I broke a propshaft one summer and it took the whole month of July for it to arrive from Japan :stretcher: .I now own a Honda which my dealer informs me that I can get parts quickly.Much faster than Suzuki.There not bad motors just they have a back order problem.Nice thing about Mercury,Johnson and Evinrude is there are many dealers available for parts.Thats my seven cents. and one american toonie.Good luck.Mike

114274.JPG

in regards to clampet, i've done that search already, not much info there. and to mike, thats what i was concerned about, doesn't seem like it that easy/cheap to get the parts for them, even though my current motor is 30 years old, its very easy to find manuals and parts still.

I didn't reply earlier because I don't know anything about the smaller motors but I have a 1986 55hp oil injected suzuki and it runs like a dream, I have never had to do anything to it other than regular maint. so I can't really tell you much about that. If I was going to buy a new motor tomorrow though I would probably go with a Honda 4 stroke. Not because I have anything against the Suzuki, I just like what I see in the Honda.

I think if I were to buy a used outboard it would be one with a close by dealer for parts and service. I believe all brands can have a possible part backorder from time to time. The more common the outboard chances are better of finding the right part. They ALL will have possible problems.

I also have a 55hp oil injected Suzuki ... it seems to be a popular choice on this board.

It is a 1993, and still runs very well. It did have to spend over $50 dollars to replace the cap for the oil tank; so there is a concern about the cost of parts. Luckily, I haven't had to replace many parts on it.

I can't help you on the price of a used motor. But I do think they have a good product.