SK Fishing Report

holdfast

It was so nice out on Friday I decided to Leave early for the trailer. I got there around 3 Pm and bumped into my neighbor which was a good thing. I told him that I was going to Pancake however I better get moving as I figured it would be a 2 Km walk. That's when he told me about another trail that was about 300 meters. I was on that road but never found any trails but this time I was determined to find it.

touratel1.png

And I did. The trail is West of the Lake. You can see the Trail on the East side. That was my Original thought. Its a small lake just South of Hackett Lake which I have fished often.

touratel3.png

Perfect for my Canoe and Cart.

P9110067.jpg

I had missed the Trail about 3 weeks ago as I drove right by it.

P9110068.jpg

touratel2.png

The Lake was a sight to behold. Nice and calm. Just a beautiful round Lake with Reeds surrounding it.

P9110069.jpg

Not a soul there. Just me and Spike

P9110070.jpg

P9110071.jpg

Now for the Fishing. I brought two rods with me. My ultra lights with six pound test. I trolled a we bit and it wasn't long before I caught my first small jack. At least I know there is fish there.

P9110076.jpg

P9110075.jpg

Spike was enjoying it, However he has not yet learned to be calm in the Canoe. Kind of had me worried so I kneeled to keep a lower profile most of the time.

P9110078.jpg

P9110079.jpg

It didnt take that long before the sun went down and it got cool. Yea and the Mosquitoes were out. But I got another small Pike.

P9110080.jpg

I wonder what the heck is going through that dogs head. But man does he ever amuse me and surprises me. There was an injured Bird, so I showed him it, just to see what he would do and he almost swallowed it. He caught a gopher and I had to wrestle that out of his mouth. I am sure that he would Bite that Pike if I gave him a chance too.

P9110081.jpg

Boy did it get dark fast. Again I had a problem finding my way back. To my astonishment when I got in I noticed I only had one rod. You can see there is only one in the canoe that I never noticed as I was focused on the shoreline.

P9110082.jpg

I lost my Bass Pro Rod with my Mitchell 308. A beautiful combo. I think it might of got caught in the Reeds. Unfortunately my lure was a Sinker Rapala, otherwise I might of gone back to look for it. Here is a picture from earlier when a pike slipped off the hook

P9110074.jpg

So the next day I decided that I may recce a lake. Ive gone to Dugout Lake several times and always wondered if this tral that branched away would lead to a lake. Ollis Lake in Particular. Its about 3 Kms North of Dugout on the Map. Of course the trails are not on the Map.

touratel2.png

And there is my Recce Vehicle. A bike and a bag with my Map and Compass/GPS. Good to go.

P9120084.jpg

As you can see the trail that turns Right goes to Dugout. Yea and I got rid of that ugly survey tape that someone lit up like a runway. So I took the left trail and not even 200 meters the trail branched in two directions. So on a hunch I took the Right.

P9120085.jpg

Here's a show stopper. I dont have a chainsaw. No way the truck is going past here.

P9120086.jpg

Oh good, an outhouse in the middle of nowhere. Upon closer inspection, it was no outhouse.

P9120087.jpg

Some kind of hunting blind, and one of the gun holes is aimed up the trail where I came from. The other on that is on the door overlooks down hill to a small opening in the woods.

P9120089.jpg

P9120090.jpg

Looks comfy, even a seat.

P9120088.jpg

So I carried on down the trail and ditched the bike as the trail was really bad. Then I came upon an opening and found these sandbags hung about 15 feet in the air. I'm thinking bear bait, but I have no Idea. (Any Ideas) Now I'm getting a bit spooked.

P9120091.jpg

Yea and this trail ended. No lake. Also seen this on two trees. Looks like for climbing but there is no stand in the two trees. Anyways I want to get the hell out of there.

P9120094.jpg

There was not a tire or foot print on the trail. Its never been used this summer it seems. Oh then I seen this sign on the trail back that I had missed. Obviously a hunting area only.

P9120095.jpg

So I backed tracked back to where it branched and tried the left trail this time and it did indeed lead to a Lake. To my surprise. I'm not alone.

P9120096.jpg

There is someone out there. Rowing.

P9120097.jpg

P9120098.jpg

P9120099.jpg

So I yelled out and asked him, how the fishing was, after I mentioned I wasn't a cop or CO. He never answered but kept rowing towards me. There was also another person. Anyways he got into shore and when he stood up I felt like a midget. This guy was huge. The other person was an old lady. Maybe his mother. First thing he says to me is howd you get here. wheres your bike, where are you from. Then he says to me is that Im the first person he seen on this lake in two years that he fished it. Probably thought I was a nut case. Oh yea, then asks me if I seen any bears.

Anyways I went back to Dugout to try some fishing, and it was windy.

P9120101.jpg

The same firewood I left when I camped here about three weeks ago. And nice and clean.

P9120100.jpg

The fishing wasn't that great but I still managed a couple of Pike.

P9120111.jpg

But I believe I lost a good Pickerel trolling back to the Truck.

The dog needed a wash so I threw a stick in.

P9120103.jpg

Very interesting report and pics Holdie!!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Did the guy in the boat have any fish?

Sounds like Spike is a little Rascallion!!! :lol:

Yea he had a white Pale full of fish. pike it looked like to me. Both of them must o got their limit. it was full but between the two of them that would be 12 Pike. Yea and I really didnt want to elaborate, However he did mention to me that he prefered eating pike over walleye. He also told me where the walleye hole is in Pancake lake.