Gettysburg

Jonny

My wife and I will be spending a few days in Pittsburgh and then Gettysburg in a few weeks. Can any of our American friends on this board suggest some 'must-see' or 'must-do' things. We will have our own car.

Any Canucks that have been there, please chime in too if you have a tip or two.

No I will not accept a border guard's sidearm if he offers it to me. :D

"Any citrus fruits or live plants?"

"No."

"Any firearms?"

"No."

"Here, take mine."

(Old joke/no offense) :P

Edited by Jocko

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Washington.

You would be pretty close if you are going to Gettysburg. I highly, highly reccommend going to Washington. There is so much to do there, you can't do it all in one trip. We were there 2 days and just barely stratched the surface of activities.

HIghlights for us:

1) WW2 monument at night - simply breathtaking

2) Museum of American History

3) Museum of Natural History

4) Arlington National Cemetary

5) Holocaust Memorial

We also saw many, many of the regular sites - Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Air and Space Museum, White House, Capital Buildingsm Reflecting Pond - the list goes on.

If you do go, make sure you see the Lincoln Memorial/WWII memorial and other sites in that area AT NIGHT. They are realy and truly breathtaking - not as much during the day.

Hope you have fun on the trip - PM me if you have questions.

I highly, highly reccommend going to Washington. There is so much to do there, you can't do it all in one trip. We were there 2 days and just barely stratched the surface of activities.

Thanks for the suggestion and the details, Dutch. We were thinking about that but we're not sure time will allow. I don't think we have enough time to do Washington justice, but we'll look at it again for sure.

gettysburg is real good. buy the cd that you put in and drive at a certain speed, and it tells you about each of the points of interest. i still remember getting goosebumps as we went through. its a very good stop.

Thanks, OC, that sounds very interesting. I'll look into it in the morning.

OC, I think this is what you meant?...

http://www.travelbrains.com/Destinations/G...Gettysburg.html

I called them this morning and ordered the Expedition Guide - $39 incl. shipping.

Thanks for the tip!

We had been thinking about reserving a 2 hr. guide ($55 + tip) who would have chaffeured us around in our own car. That would have been fine except that we thought the Expedition Guide would allow us to really take our time and stop for longer periods of time at places we found really interesting. We're in no hurry.

I wondered whether the Guide would reach us through the mails in time (we'd like to "study up" before we go). The girl said if it didn't we could buy the Guide at the Visitors' Center and she would refund us the money for the mail-order copy.

Wow! Somehow I can't see that happening in Canada! :)

I'm still wondering if there are any other things of note to see or do in the Gettysburg/Harrisburg area, or up the highway toward Syracuse/Kingston for our trip homeward.

There is a BPS in Harrisburg and a Cabellas 1 hr. approx. down the road in Hamburg. I went to the BPS, but unfortunately didn't make it to the Cabellas.

Make sure your hit a couple of Walmarts in PA - most had their fishing and boat supplies on clearance as much as 70% off, most items 50% or so. Best deal I saw was for a 7' medium spinning rod - $42 on for $11, but all sold out. Some spinning and baitcasting reels on for 50% off as well.

I trust you have a passport or reasonable facsimile to get into the U.S. with?... we're not letting just any old Hoser in these days yanno! :rolleyes:

I dunno...I had a few friends up from Ohio with no passport and they had no trouble getting back. Makes me think they will allow anybody in.

I dunno...I had a few friends up from Ohio with no passport and they had no trouble getting back. Makes me think they will allow anybody in.

If it was after June 2009... they're telling you a fib!!!

I was told at the border last Sept. '08 that a birth certificate and DL wasn't any good anymore... which I knew was Bull because the cutoff date was was June 2009.

When was the last time you were in "Gods Country" (south of the border) Dara???

when i was there, the neatest thing was that it was during the filming of the movie " Gettysburg" as we drove around the park, we got out to check out little round top and there was a man dressed in complete confederate garb making sketches looking out over the battlefield. i was a senior in high school traveling through with my livestock judging team for ffa and remember our conversation well to this day. he was a doctor from new york that was big into civil war re inactments and had got a part as an extra in the movie, he was much better than any tour guide we could have got and spent close to an hour with us telling us all about the battle. it was amazing.

I have often thought about what would have been going through those poor soldiers mind going into such a terrible battle. it is unreal to think about what could cause men to line up and charge into such a volley of lead over and over.

jason

Imperial Angler

Group: Members

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Dara @ Sep 14 2009, 08:13 PM)

If it was after June 2009... they're telling you a fib!!!

I was told at the border last Sept. '08 that a birth certificate and DL wasn't any good anymore... which I knew was Bull because the cutoff date was was June 2009.

When was the last time you were in "Gods Country" (south of the border) Dara???

us buckeyes have special privledges gcd, we come and go as we please. lol

jason

When we were in Washington, we went to the American History Museum, part of the Smithsonian Institute series of museums, and learned that the line formation was part of war for generations.

The way the balls moved down the musket barrels, rattling back and forth, it's a matter of how anyone got hit in the first place.

Once rifled barrels came along, both sides had to adapt to the new more accurate firepower.

GCD - getting in past the US agents is the easy part - it's getting back across by the Canadian side that's tough. They seem to let in any rif-raf down there...lol.

GCD - getting in past the US agents is the easy part - it's getting back across by the Canadian side that's tough. They seem to let in any rif-raf down there...lol.

Excuse me???... I've gotten into Canada with little more than a Wal-Mart reciept!!!... the time before last, the little cute gal at the both didn't even check our ID!!! (but I was holding my BC and DL in my hand where she could see it)... but it seems I always get a ration of crap when coming back into the U.S!!!... with a southern drawl/accent like I have, where the hell am I going to be from?... Yemen!!!

...maybe it's just the Yankee/Redneck prejudice thing... but US/Canada border security has been stepped up immensely since 09/11/01!!!

... thanks a lot for harboring terrorists!!! :angry:

easy now we got three eyed catfish near every power plant on the ohio river.

jason

Dang-it Jason!!!... was hoping you wouldn't notice that last comment! ;)

You need to catch and eat those 3 eyed catfish to keep them from breeding yanno!!! ;)

... next thing yanno... they'll be all over the place!!! :rolleyes:

Just figured out how multi-quote works. Pretty cool.

There is a BPS in Harrisburg and a Cabellas 1 hr. approx. down the road in Hamburg. I went to the BPS, but unfortunately didn't make it to the Cabellas...Make sure your hit a couple of Walmarts in PA -

Excellent - hadn't thought of that at all.

I trust you have a passport or reasonable facsimile to get into the U.S. with?... we're not letting just any old Hoser in these days yanno! :rolleyes:

Yep, got our passports. If they're profiling vanilla senior citizens in a Toyota Matrix we'll still have trouble. :) Seriously, though, we've never had any trouble at US Customs, it's Canadian Customs that are always pissy about thinking we're bringing back a real haul of stuff.

something to do on the long drive from Pittsburgh to Gettysburg Look at the haunted Gettysberg tours...it's supposed to be one of the most haunted places in North America

Hmmm... we'll keep an eye out, thanks. :)

---

We hope to see some re-enactors at Gettysburg but we're thinking that there won't be any around because the summer season is over.