Granny Fishing Report

danjang

Hey all, this is my first fishing report on OFC. I also have a question which is related to my report and is also the reason why there are no pics :(.

I went to the Granny with my good friend and my dad. I had a horrible year of not catching much so I was really looking forward to catch myself a nice chinny. I had bought a centerpin during the summer and was itching to use it. Prior to yesterday I had never hooked a fish with it. About 2 minutes after getting my line wet Fish On! Followed by a snap! My dad thought an 8 lb leader was too light but I'm pretty sure I got a bit too excited and palmed a bit too hard. Round two begun before my friend and dad finished setting up. This time I was a bit better on the palming. I wasn't going to lose this one. This fight was more like me praying the line wouldn't snap again. I want my fish! After the most fun 20 minute fight ever I finally landed my first chinny of the season. I'm guessing around 25lb female. Here is the portion of my report where I would like to know what is considered to be OK to do. I quickly dispatched my friend to run to the car to grab a camera as it was being netted. When it was brought up, it was snagged. A gentleman nearby with a fairly commanding voice said for me to release it immediately because it was snagged. I said "yes I know" but I was thinking I would like a picture first, my friend was on the way back with the camera. And I walked towards him to get the picture quickly. That gentleman kept on saying for me to release the fish. I didn't want to cause trouble so I went and released it.

OK so here's the question. Was he just being a difficult person or was he right? I had no intention of killing this fish and I am fully aware of the regulations. It says for me to release any fish not caught legally immediately. Am I not allowed to take a photograph?

-Dan

That's a big question and something that will get a lot of people going, in my opinion if you were using a center pin and were fishing in the most correct way there is nothing you could of done. After a fight, a few minutes in the net would only benefit the fish and let it get it's strength back. A photograph is a way of capturing a memory and no regulation should take that away from yourself. Just be calm and keep the fish within the net until the camera is set up and ready.

Congrads on the catch, I myself don't fish that way(bass man) but if I were to of had a bass snagged I would undergo the same process.

Thanks for sharing,

MTBF

I don't want to rain on your parade, but snagged fish don't count. :rolleyes: ... and yes you should release it immediately.

... but don't be too heartbroken, you'll get another one soon!!! ;)

So, GCD if you were to of snagged a musky and it undergone a long fight you would simply toss it back instantly, no reviving...think about that.

So, GCD if you were to of snagged a musky and it undergone a long fight you would simply toss it back instantly, no reviving...think about that.

Rules are rules Mike!!! :angry:

Actually, I think if the fish is in the water and you are reviving it... no CO would charge you with possesion!

.. and it's only a snagged fish if there are witnesses!!! ;)

Alabama fish and Game law describes a legally hooked fish as "Hooked anywhere in the head"... Ontario law states "Hooked in the mouth" for a legally caught fish.

Imagine watching this unfold as the guy with the commanding voice. You see a guy fight a salmon to near death (I say this because a snagged salmon is exceptionally hard to land until has no energy left and you can just pull it onto shore). While fighting this snagged fish (its very apparent in a clear water river setting) he sends his buddy to the car to get the camera. Then he starts walking towards the guy for a picture. How does the guy with the commanding voice know you intend to release the fish? He told you it was snagged and you replied "yes I know" while thinking to yourself you will release it after a quick picture?? Does this guy on the river voice have telepathic abilities? You should have broken off as soon as you realized it was snagged, if not possible you should have released it immediately after landing it. Why even take a picture of a snagged fish?

(BTW it's the Ganny :lol: )

I saw that too. Dang, I thought he had discovered a new salmon river.

As for the fish, legally you do need to release the fish immediately. Rather than start a confrontation you probably made the wise choice. Next time if you really want a picture try explaining to the guy that you will immediately release the fish after, and maybe he'll relax.

The reason he may have sort of jumped on you was because unfortunately many people make a habit out of snagging salmon. It happens all the time at this time of year and really upsets honest fishers. You certainly don't sound like one of those snaggers but he didn't know this, so don't take it personal.

Thanks for the replies. I had not known the fish was snagged until it was out of the water. It was night and the Ganny (Thanks solopaddler) was pretty murky for some reason anyways. My reasoning for taking a picture was my friend had already been sent to grab the camera, it was my first fish landed on a centerpin and I'm fairly new to game fishing (hence the question). I always try to release fish quickly but to me the fight was a first experience where I would like to have had a photo taken of. I'm not heart broken over the incident, I will catch more fish, but that moment would always be the first landed fight on my centerpin in my memories. I guess to simplify the way i felt about this, imagine someone telling you can't take a picture because your first fish doesn't count due to snagging.

Again I'm just sharing how I felt about it. I knew I was walking a fine line trying to snap a picture. I just wasn't 100% clear on it.

I don't think anyone here is going to scorn you for wanting a pic of your first chinny caught on a pin. If you didn't know it was snagged before hand, no harm no foul. The damn thing is going to be dead in a few weeks anyhow.

If anything, leave it in the water until your buddy with the camera gets there. Take out out, quick pic and back in the drink it goes.

I've snagged more then a few fish on the pin, nothing you can do about it.

And here I thought this report was going to be about you taking your grandmother fishing.

Better yet, for some strange reason I thought you were going to tell us how you went to an old age home to try and hook up with a granny. Hence granny fishing.

For some strange reason I was hoping it was the latter you were going to write about. (yeah, not sure exactly why my brain is wired like that.)

And here I thought this report was going to be about you taking your grandmother fishing.

Better yet, for some strange reason I thought you were going to tell us how you went to an old age home to try and hook up with a granny. Hence granny fishing.

For some strange reason I was hoping it was the latter you were going to write about. (yeah, not sure exactly why my brain is wired like that.)

... too long in the permafrost and tundra dude!!!

Congrates on introducing yourself to the pin feeling ...now you know what to expect when its FISH ON ...but in all honesty as soon as you know the fish is hooked foul....point the rod to the fish ( with your float submerged) and pull out ( .35 cent hook is nothing) ...when you get more experienced in the fight of a fair fish you will be able to distinguish the difference and deal with it in a more timely fashion ( rather then exhausting the fish) ...as for buddy barking at you ....he probably was frustrated fishing for hours with not even a hook up...(fair or foul)

Exception to the rule....if your chuckin lures....land the foul fish and revive it faceing upstream ( lures cost money) It may take a few minutes out of your fishing time ...

Rippers belong on a stage....not in a river..

Good luck with your future catches...

Everyones first Chinny on the river is snagged, you will learn how to catch them properly and as you do,..you will know how to tell immediately if the fish is caught legit or snagged. After that if by chance you snag one (you shouldnt if you know what you are doing), the etiquette is to break it off ASAP.