Towing Question

jaysonmarion@gmail.com

I can't speak from experience, but I have seen alot of cars pulling small aluminium boats.

I'd think an Impala would have more then enough juice to haul it around.

I'd just keep an eye on the condition of the boat launch.

Edited by LucG

I personally tow a 14' tinner with a 15Hp motor behind my 4 banger VW Golf. It tows great.

It's not really the best in the winter (light car.. front wheel drive...), and for the long halls up north. But it works perfect for anything inside 300kms of travel distance.

My good friend drives an Impala, and he trailers a 16' aluminum w/ 40hp motor. It also pulls no problem. However, I get a little freaked out when he has to react quickly with such a big boat on the back of a car. He's been doing it for a long time with no issues.

You'l be just fine with the set up you suggested.

Your Impala has 1000lbs towing capacity.....depending on your boat, trailer, gear, passengers etc, you could be ok.....here is a link that might help figure the GVWR and so on..

GVWR

You sure about that?? My 4 cyl Golf is ~1300 lbs towing cap.. It's half the car..

Edited by F to the Is-H

I have a car like yours and tow my 14ft aluminum no problems with it out of launches etc. I'm hoping to get a 16ft and tow it - I have a 1000lb max towing as well. If doing long distances I'd invest in a transmission cooler.

Look into getting the 12'' brake upgrade on your impala though....kit is like $150 and it makes a HUGE difference in stopping power.

Edited by scugog

Do a quick google search on "2007 Impala LS towing capacity". All the results that come back says 1000 lbs for this vehicle.

It would appear i jumped the gun a little on that one. Sorry about questioning the info above.

I assumed a V6 Impala would be able to out tow my 4 cyl Golf. But it can't.. I bet it'l stop faster though.. :P

As the others have said it should be ok as long as the boat package is relatively light, if you're concerned you can upgrade parts of your vehicle to help (brakes/cooling/etc?)... i forgot what are the things you can do but do a search here and you should find alot of stuff.

No worries. I used to tow the boat in my avatar (14.5' Springbok with 30 hp electric start Johnson) with a 1999 Cavalier Z24 5 sp, 4 banger with no trouble at all. Package is well under 1000lbs. However, I'm surprised someone hasn't come by yet to say that you need a full size 4x4 truck. Someone usually does.