is it OK to cry

GBW

Well today was looking like a great day at the cottage. I even got my first musky ever! now, is it OK to cry when you are about to take the hook out of the fish and it gets away on you? this mid 30" musky snapped it's jaw as it was not to happy with me and bit through the line just as I was reaching with the pliers to go for the hook. All I was thinking (other than NOOOOOO!!!!!!) was I knew I should have had the boka-grip on it! I'm even more mad with myself as I only had 10lb line on (as was not my musky rod) and I was going to respool it yesterday with 20LB spiderwire...

On the good side, yesterday was my best day on the lake for bass and walleye's. A buddy came by and we fished for 2.5 hrs and boated in total 7 SMB all in the 2.4LB to 1.8LB range, one 21 3/4" walleye and one 18" walleye. All bass went back and if my buddy send's me the pic's from his blackberry I'll post them.

ALL fish caught of soft "plastic" baits too!

Don't cry GWB...Just mother natures way of telling you that your about to enter the muskie twilight zone and to prepare for your next encounter by maxing out your credit cards on muskie gear :lol:

Good Luck !!!

Just be happy that those big hooks didnt catch you!!! I was fighting a salmon yesterday and was close to landing it,...my buddy was in the river ready to tail it for me when my leader broke and my 3g balsom float came back like a bullett and clipped him in the nose, I thought he was gonna cry,..lol

First, I would like to welcome you to the musky world. :-)

dont cry, that's the musky world, crap happens... a lot!

no but seriously it could of have been worse, be careful with those mid 30s fish. they can burry a trebble hook in your hand so fast you will never know what hit ya. fish that size seem to be the most unpredictable at boat side.

I'm with fil on this one, the ones between 26" and 36" seem to be the most dangerous. I had one jump into my lap in my kayak a few years ago with a bucktail treble hook in it's mouth. Not an area that I like razor sharp teeth or big hooks thrashing around. I lost my camera to that one but kept the family jewels intact.

I also agree with fil on this one. Those smaller sized muskie just don't seem to tire out at boatside and can cause real trouble in the boat while removing hooks. They seem to have a unlimited supply of energy and a quick head shake will firmly plant #5 trebles in you somewhere....only god knows :o

Good Luck !!

there are to many quotes to quote so...

The dang thing hit a jig while fishing for walleye's.

I had it tailed! I fugured it was safe but boy was I wrong... :(

The odd part is, it was off the dock as I was fishing for bass or lazy walleye around 8:00AM...

I WISH I was at the cottage tomorrow for another try but I have a VERY ILL family member that I must be near so my fishing is done for this weekend...