Small ice fishing report

xrap

We got down one the water today around 10:30 and the fishing was very slow. Not one bite in the marina so we decided to head out on the grand and still no bites. It was getting windy so we went back in the marina got a few hits but the only fish that was caught was by my bro in laws freind, just a rock bass. We went down to Port Maitland pier and erie was frozen and so was the whole pier.

Here's a pic f a frozen fish we seen in the ice culdn't really make it out but it looked like a walleye or sheepshead.

Picture123.jpg

People down at the marina

Picture124.jpg

Moved out onto the grand, drilling the holes

Picture127.jpg

I wiped out

Picture131.jpg

The rock bass

Picture132.jpg

Port Maitland pier

Picture136.jpg

I wiped out again. lol

Picture137.jpg

Edited by xrap

Hard to say what that fish is, doesn't really look like a Walleye to me but I don't know, you should have chipped it out and ate it, probably still good. :dunno:

It doens't look to much like a walleye in the pic more of a sheepshead. There's was blood all over the tale was well if you can see it in the pic

]

I see you had a jig and white twister tail fer bait.

I strongly beleive you need the ole minnow, or at least some sort of live presentation fer ice angling. Some may argue, particularly when fishing deep water trout and Whitefish.

Hey clampet we were using minnows the whole day. Jigged them, put them under a float, pikerel rig. And no success. I was using live bait the whole time but they started jigging and getting a few hits. I got a nice bit eon the float, so I started running and i fell and by the time i got to the hole it was gone. Oh well still was fun to get out

Edited by xrap

Cool pics guys, That is kinda weird that fish just frozen there like that. My mother had a similar experience in BC but it was some guy under the ice who fell through and was taken by the current. Bizzaro stuff man.

Looked fun anyways. I like the thrill of the hunt, trying to find those fish can sometimes be tough.