Ice fishing in May

moosehead

Awesome stuff !!!

Almost 11 feet of ice.

You need some nasty temps for a long time to get ice that thick.

I would think there are a few extensions added to the original auger.

There are loaded tractor trailers that drive across frozen lakes and rivers up there in winter.

Full size plows keep the ice roads clear of heavy snow.

I think the ice has to be at least 3+ feet thick before the trucks can use the winter route.

It would have to be to support the weight safely.

Not a drive for wimps. Lots of pressure cracks and insane weather.

Not a nice place to get stranded either. Better have a good radio for communication.

I live about 2 1/2 hours north of Quebec City. I often go brook trout fishing through the ice in May in the Monts Valin area just north of me. The altitude is about 3000 feet and the ice stays until June in most of the small lakes. It's usually only in the early morning when I can go fishing because by midday, there is a lot of slush on the lakes. I always take my snowmobile (longtrack) to get to these lakes. There are no trails to the lakes and during the summer, the lakes are very hard to reach. The ride out on the snowmobile during the midday can be tough. The snow may be deep in some places, it often caves in under the snowmobile. I bring along a hand operated winch. But, it's worth the trouble. The brook trout are numerous and large. It's also fun being able to stretch out on the snowmobile (shirtless) and get a tan while ice fishing. It can also be a bit dangerous. The ice near shore is quite thin and if I get off the lake too late, there can be open water that I have to scoot across on the snowmobile. During the night, it gets very cold and this open water freezes up.