the boat thing is new to me what do I need in the boat

skinny

ok it's a 12' and so far I have

floating rope

PFD's

one of those orange tubs from ctc has rope light whistle and tub is bailer

paddles incase i run out of battery

I have been told is i will be out at dusk I will need lights even is just on local pond

ok it's a 12' and so far I have

floating rope

PFD's

one of those orange tubs from ctc has rope light whistle and tub is bailer

paddles incase i run out of battery

I have been told is i will be out at dusk I will need lights even is just on local pond

I would put a bailer in it. I had a 12' tinner that leaked and it was my most valuable tool. Just take an old windshield washer container and but the bottom off it. THey work great as a bailer and doubles as a urinal.

You should have a compliance tag on the boat, this tells you what outboard size, how many people and how much weight you can carry in good weather. If the boat has been modified the tag is no longer valid.

you will need an operators competency card and some form of ID with a picture.

If the boat has a license (#'s on the bow) you should have that.

You should have an anchor and at least 50' rope, I know the regs say paddle or anchor but you can do stuff with an anchor that you can't do with a paddle.

Make sure your flashlight works,lots of guys get caught with a brand new light that doesn't work.

That link says you have to have a horn, not a whistle. So what's with the whistle? I thought that was all that was needed for a signalling device.

The whistle is if you go over as it's a lot louder then you are. people can hear it over the motor most of the time.

as for the flashlight, waterproof and working.

The whistle is if you go over as it's a lot louder then you are. people can hear it over the motor most of the time.

as for the flashlight, waterproof and working.

OK, makes sense, but do you need a whistle and a horn? For a whistle, it would seem to make sense to have one attached to every lifejacket in the boat, but I've never heard of that being a requirement.

In order to avoid getting caught out and paying a fine, it seems to me that I'll try to set myself up like this:

• a lifejacket, with whistle attached, for every person in the boat
  • a bailing bucket
  • a pair of oars (for oarlocks), or paddles
  • an air horn
  • 50 feet of floating throwing line
  • a flashlight with working batteries and spares
  • a clamp-on battery-powered red/green navigation light

Am I missing anything?

Everything you need is in the orange kit you bought from CT, the orange container is the bailer. If you are new to boating you'll need to get your operators card, I'm assuming that your boat has a motor of some sorts. Check out this website, the study guide lists the required equipment for each type of watercraft. http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/education/default-en.aspx

The horn and whistle are sound signaling devices, the horn is more useful if you know the proper signals, if you don't know the signals you can give the wrong message and not know it.

The regs for up to 6M calls for at least 1 sound signaling devise or appliance, for a 12' tinny if you end up in the water chances are the air horn has floated away while you were swimming around looking for a pfd the whistle tied to the pfd is still with you if you get to the pfd. Not a bad idea to have a small light tied to it as well.

Don't think of the safety equipment as something to keep the cops happy but more as a plan for disaster.

You can get a throw rope packed in a bag that works really well, when you throw it it goes where you want and the rope unwinds. You can get them cheaper at the swimming pool supply place.