French River Eyes

NAW

Headin to the French this weekend.

I was planning on getting a few dozen worms. Was also thinkin about grabbing a bag of Minnows, and maybe some leaches.

I plan on targeting the eyes mostly.

For those with some experiance on the French, what live bait would you use this time of year????

I was going to use jigs, drop shot rigs, pickrel rigs, worm harness, and walleye killers. Just not sure what to tip them with.

Any tips to help me land my first eye would be great!!

Thanks,

F-is-H

I would tip tip your rigs with minnows this time of year..Worms and leeches work fine to but minnows seen to be the popular choice. I notice most boats vertical jigging rock shoals as well this time of year. Myself, I can't stand anchoring so I'm always on the move dragging my bait behind a Lindy Rig..

Good Luck !!

Thanks for the tips gents.

I have a question about the Lindy Rig.

I have seen a few people that use "worm blowers" to make the worm float when using the lindy rig.

Any one use the "worm blowers" with good results?? If so, are they easy to use?? Just curious..

Edited by F to the Is-H

You bet !!!

Blown Lindy Rig for night crawlers is the only way to go....Gets them off the bottom into the strike zone where the eyes can make short work of them. Unfortunately so can all the little nibblers like sunfish and perch so you got to develop some technique in telling the two apart,walleye from nibbler...Usually what I do is gently pull the worm away from the perch or sunfish until the nibbling stops and then carry on.... I use a home made lindy rig with a single hook so when I finally get a walleye to commit I got to give the fish some time to take the bait fully in its mouth. Setting the hook to soon will only result in retrieving the line back to the boat with only the head of the worm on your hook instead of the fish.....

I just spent my lunch break at Simcoe Bait and Tackle.

Picked up a worm blower, 3 dozen worms, and 2 packs of Mustad Slow Death hooks.

Not sure if I should blow up the worms when using the slow death hooks. May screw up the cork screw effect of the slow death presentation.

I have all weekend to figure it out!

you could always try trolling a 9" grandma after dark.. this french r. victim liked it

walleye1.jpg

i would focus on low light periods and dont be afraid to go out after dark. troll minnow baits.

• 3 weeks later...

****************** THE BITE IS ON !!!!!!! ********* FRENCH IS HOT RIGHT NOW !!! *********

I've been on the "EYES" for a few weeks now. For me and a lot of people I know swear that BY FAR the BEST LIVE BAIT to use right now on the French or Nipissing is a LEECH!!!

I have had people right beside me on the same spot fish with minnows and worms and I've out-fished them 3 fold with leeches. I'm alone in the boat and they're two.

Father In-Law went out today and on his friends boat "The B-52". Leeches out-fished minnows and worms today until they ran out then the bite was slow on minnows. 25'-35' FOW.

Use a Jighead that matches the Leech and you should do VERY VERY Good... But expect to release a lot of fish

70% of my catches are right in the SLOT "40-60cm."

GOOD LUCK!!!

RFS

:canadian:

:Gonefishing: