Crestliner Boat Recalled

JohnAB

Well just got a letter in the mail saying my boat, Crestliner 1600 Fish Hawk SC has been recalled as it does not meet US Coast Guard requirements for level floatation with proper distribution of weight if swamped. Supposed to take it back to the dealer to have some foam kit installed which may alter storage areas or compartments. Oh goody, wonder how long this is going to take and how much storage and which compartments are going to be affected. Bought the boat brand new spring of 2008. Will be calling their customer service rep this morning to get the low down.

Holy doodle man, talk about going off half cocked.

What follows is an excerpt from an email that I received after talking with my excellent dealer, about a week or so ago.

This is an example of excellent service by the way, from a great dealer and a great boat company.

"I talked with Bruce Anderson, Crestliner warranty manager this morning about your questions regarding the flotation recall.

On the 1600 Fish Hawk, the extra foam occupies the bottom 3" of your port rod locker. The new foam block is hidden below a false floor. Some of the space in your stern port and starboard battery storage compartments is also used for additional flotation. Bruce says that the loss of storage in these areas is quite minimal.

There will be a affidavit available for you to sign off allowing you to "opt out" of this recall if you choose to.

We have a 2009 1600 Super Hawk in stock. We have ordered the foam kit for this boat. I would expect that we will be doing this job in about a month. I will let you know and/or take some pictures.

If you aren't in a hurry about this, why not wait until the off season? I expect that we will have completed some of these refits on 1600 Fish Hawks by then and will have better answers to your concerns."

Jim