Quad trouble

redneck666

hey,

i have recently run into some quad trouble. it was running fine one day and i decided to go for a ride and when i got back i shut it off and a few minutes later went to start it up and drive it into my garage... it didnt start, and i didnt think anything of it. So i wheeled it in and left it there till a few days ago i tried again and got no where. my heads been reeling with possibilities ever since. Now, i tried a new spark plug, with no luck. tested power comming from my cdi and there was none and i cant really figure out if any power is getting to the cdi from the stator or whatever it is inside the engine, which also may be shot.... can anyone help me?

oh ya by the way its a 2005 200cc chinese quad, its good enough to have a little fun on, lol.

JP

Hope u dont need a part.... could be tough to come by.....

Good luck!

G

thanks, but lucky for me there is a shop that used to sell them and hes got lots of parts left. and i found a site based in florida thats got everything i need

Did you check the kill switch? I'm not familiar with these machines, but I suspect it's something simple. Does it need to be in neutral to start? Is the fuel valve open? Have you checked the air cleaner? Is the gas fresh? Does the motor turn over when you attempt to start? If not it's possibly the battery or a connection or the starter. Does it have a manual choke? Can you smell gas?

Did you check the kill switch? I'm not familiar with these machines, but I suspect it's something simple. Does it need to be in neutral to start? Is the fuel valve open? Have you checked the air cleaner? Is the gas fresh? Does the motor turn over when you attempt to start? If not it's possibly the battery or a connection or the starter. Does it have a manual choke? Can you smell gas?

well,

kill switch is fine, yes neutral to start, gravity fed (no valve), checked filter (new one), gas is very fresh, motor does turn over, yes manual choke and no i dont smell gas.

And i dont have a spark whatsoever, so i think it may be my stator or cdi. I just would like to hear what someone else thinks.

thanks,

JP

Edited by bigredneck

Ignition switch? With the key turned on, you should have power to the CDI.

If you don't, your switch it most likely toast.

i dont think its that cause when i turn it on everything lights up. and i've texted power comming from the cdi while trying to start it and got a big 0.

the coil and ignition switch are fine. i bought the cdi 3 months ago. lol THERE IS NO POWER COMMING FROM THE CDI, and the engine turns over, everything works like its supposed to except there is no spark. Jeez people.

i suspect its the cdi or stator. the cdi may have burned out because the machines voltage runs at 14 instead of 12, so i should actually get a new voltage regulator.

Edited by bigredneck

Here's a question for you.

Is it a 4 stroke?

If so check the low oil switch.

If you have a problem with the switch or oil pump the low oil system shuts down the motor.

So if your low oil switch is showing a short it will shut down the system not allowing it to start.

So you have another place to look.

Try disconecting the wire connected to the low oil switch, if it then start replace the switch and giver'. :D

well. yes it is a 4 stroke and i do not have a low oil indicater or switch. it doesnt burn or leak oil and i did check the level and its all good. thanks for the info. but what most people dont understand is that these crappy chinese outfits is that their deffinately not like normal quads. lol mine is a knock off of the old honda 200cc im pretty sure its late 80's - early 90's but my engine was made brand new in 2005. oh and the engine manufacturer is lifan, apparently people are buying these engines and putting them in their honda xr frames. i tell ya what, for what i put that quad through, its held up extremely well!

Edited by bigredneck

Does that mean ya still gotta get off & push it up a hill? ^_^

Actually no i don't, LMAO!

suprisingly it has plenty of torque! im a heavy 220lbs rider (though you'd never really know it if u seen me) and there is plenty of power to get up some pretty steep hills. in second gear seems to hit the powerband. but in any gear (has 4 gears) i can drift around my schools gravel track no problem! im very pleased with its performance! though it should sit a little higher for where i go.