Weight distribution in an aluminum v-hull

scugpg

I'm trying to figure out the best solution for my 14ft vhull tinny and some weight distribution issues. First off I'm sure I'm back heavy. I have the following behind the rear bench of the boat:

motor 90lbs

gas tank 40lbs

2 optimas (24v setup)85lbs

Up front I have a casting deck pedestal seat and a bowmount on the nose of the boat.

The boat at low speed as you can guess the bow is up pretty high and puts off a mean wake for the size of the boat :lol: Doesn't take that long to plane out though and once it does she rides nice. I tried moving both batteries up front and it'd plow too much water the motor didn't have enough power to plane it with the weight up front.

I could try having one battery up there, but I also tried that earlier this year and seemed like too much up there as well though then I only had one battery in the boat.

Another option I was thinking of getting a hydrofoil to help with the low-speed planing issues and keep the nose down. What do you think? How do you guys set things up in your aluminums?

Have you tried mounting both your batteries (in a custom made marine plywood case) midtinny on the side opposite were you sit while steering. Do you fish alone sometimes and at others with a buddy, as this setup may suit both cases, and provide overall better handling.

Just a thought. :dunno:

Have you tried mounting both your batteries (in a custom made marine plywood case) midtinny on the side opposite were you sit while steering. Do you fish alone sometimes and at others with a buddy, as this setup may suit both cases, and provide overall better handling.

Just a thought. :dunno:

Usually have company on the boat. Actually have a case for them, I could give that a shot wouldn't be too much effort to see how it moves.

Usually have company on the boat. Actually have a case for them, I could give that a shot wouldn't be too much effort to see how it moves.

That's great that you have cases.

If after experimenting with this setup, and if it works for you, you may want to consider making your own case.

That way you can step on them when exiting or entering tinny, or sit on, or set gear on. Space is always at a premium, I wish I had more :D .

Scugog

Ask Solopaddler what he has to say about the Nauticus Smart Tabs he just installed on his 16 footer. ;)

I've heard nothing but great things about the smart tabs! I don't think they're feasible on a tinny though. I'm really considering a hydrofoil it should keep the nose down but will lose some top end. It was really irritating plowing water with it being front heavy.

Anyone else care to share how they have their boat setup?

I have my batteries and fuel tank midships in a custom plywood box. I was rear heavy as well, but that is mostly from my own weight and the motor. Placing that weight there balanced out the boat quite well. (My water line is quite hilarious when you look at it) With a 20 hp I am able get up on plane quickly and at low speed I have the nose down.

I am running a 14 fiberglass fishing boat with a trolling motor on the bow so it might behave differently than yours.

Hope this helps.