Weather watches

misfish

wow, of all those pics, that last one really shows the unique forces of a tornado.

Silvio< thanks for that link. I hear of tornado warnings round the area from time to time........but ive always brushed them off as i didnt think they meant anything to that extent. I had no idea they could reach that severity in this part of the country. Wow......ill take these warnings much more seriously in the future.

Thanks for the pictures of the extensive damage StoneFly. Looks like it was pretty bad that way.

Very rare for a storm to be so excessive around here. Not since May 31, 1985 have i seen skies so black. Slight damage even in downtown Toronto yesterday.

Thanks for the pictures of the extensive damage StoneFly. Looks like it was pretty bad that way.

Very rare for a storm to be so excessive around here. Not since May 31, 1985 have i seen skies so black. Slight damage even in downtown Toronto yesterday.

Yes, I remember that day in 85 well,..that one came 1 km from my house just north of Schomberg,..now That was INTENSE,...I remember driving down the 3rd line after it ended and saw and 8 - 100 year old farm houses were levelled with 2-3 km. My Grade 8 class spent a whole week helping in the cleanup on some of the farms.

Stonefly the area in Woodbridge you visited martin grove and hwy7 (Andrew park) is my grandmothers street thank good there ok. the other area you visited in Woodbridge woodbridge ave and Forrest is in the area I live just 4 streets north of the street you were on. the street you were on (Huston) out of the dozen or so houses damaged 5 were of people I know very sad to see.

Edited by silvio

Stonefly the area in Woodbridge you visited martin grove and hwy7 (Andrew park) is my grandmothers street thank good there ok. the other area you visited in Woodbridge woodbridge ave and Forrest is in the area I live just 4 streets north of the street you were on. the street you were on (Huston) out of the dozen or so houses damaged 5 were of people I know very sad to see.

Yeah, I walked around several areas, in Woodbridge, Houston and Button seemed to be the worst, In Maple, just south east of Jane and America was pretty bad too. Thankfully noone was hurt, but still unbeleivable that noone was, just one missing dog.

facepalm1.jpg

Perfectly legitimate question.

Forecast: More Killer Tornadoes Strike at Night

By LiveScience Staff

posted: 05 November 2008 12:51 pm ET

Tornado warning systems have decreased deaths in the United States resulting from these destructive storms, but the alerts might be leaving us vulnerable to twisters that strike at night, a scientist now warns.

In the past century, tornado deaths have declined overall, in large part due to sophisticated forecasting technology and warning systems that give people in the path of a storm time to get to safety.

But a new study by Northern Illinois University found that the nighttime tornado death rate in the past 100 years hasn't kept pace with the decline in the rate for daytime tornadoes.

"The proportion of nocturnal fatalities and killer tornado events has increased during the last half century," said lead author of the study Walker Ashley, an NIU meteorologist. "Unfortunately, this nocturnal fatality rate appears to be a major factor for the stalled decline in national tornado-fatality tallies during the past few decades."

Tornados can strike any time of day every month of the year and have hit every continent on the planet except Antarctica.

Funny I lived in Kansas for 10 yrs and never saw one but here have seen 3. Though I have yet to experience a storm as violent as the one that hit our town in Kansas in 1981, not a tornado but the most violent thunderstorm I have ever been in, trees down everywhere through windows, roofs, and dead birds everywhere. All this was caused by violent straight line winds.

2 days later and the facts are rolling in confirmed...not that there was much doubt of touch downs.

Unfortunatly in all this media hype, and specatular footage caught in Vaughn lets not forget

there was an 11 year old boy who lost his life in the Durham Tornado, and several more taken to hospital with traumatic injuries.

Its just Sad that there was little to no warning for these people in the Conservation Area.

The Poor Kid was in a picnic enclosure with his mother taking shelter...not that canvass is much protection from flying debris.

My heart goes out to the family, and those directly effected.

This was a bit personal for me as I had my trailer in that conservation area 3 years ago, and actually knew the gentlman who was on the scene first performing CPR...for 40 minutes before the Ambulance came.

He is a super nice guy, and my heart was breaking for him seeing him on the news last night trying to keep it together.

I actually took shelter in his trailer(next door neighbor) with my 2 year old daughter and wife once as there was a HUGE storm that rolled through in mid August 4 years ago(Very similar).

He was kind enough to invite us in so Aby could watch TV(which I didn't have) to distract her from the storm which had her pretty scared.

I am now thanking my lucky Stars that I decided to move to another park when I heard of this tragedy.

As spectacular as all the Vaughn footage is no one was hurt and thats a miracle in it's self.

I don't know that there was much that could have been done to better warn people of the impending danger, but I certainly hope this event has served as a big wake up call to pay attention when severe weather is forecast.

Cheers,

2 days later and the facts are rolling in confirmed...not that there was much doubt of touch downs.

Unfortunatly in all this media hype, and specatular footage caught in Vaughn lets not forget

there was an 11 year old boy who lost his life in the Durham Tornado, and several more taken to hospital with traumatic injuries.

Its just Sad that there was little to no warning for these people in the Conservation Area.

The Poor Kid was in a picnic enclosure with his mother taking shelter...not that canvass is much protection from flying debris.

My heart goes out to the family, and those directly effected.

This was a bit personal for me as I had my trailer in that conservation area 3 years ago, and actually knew the gentlman who was on the scene first performing CPR...for 40 minutes before the Ambulance came.

He is a super nice guy, and my heart was breaking for him seeing him on the news last night trying to keep it together.

I actually took shelter in his trailer(next door neighbor) with my 2 year old daughter and wife once as there was a HUGE storm that rolled through in mid August 4 years ago(Very similar).

He was kind enough to invite us in so Aby could watch TV(which I didn't have) to distract her from the storm which had her pretty scared.

I am now thanking my lucky Stars that I decided to move to another park when I heard of this tragedy.

As spectacular as all the Vaughn footage is no one was hurt and thats a miracle in it's self.

I don't know that there was much that could have been done to better warn people of the impending danger, but I certainly hope this event has served as a big wake up call to pay attention when severe weather is forecast.

Cheers,

The part I dont get is why Environment Canada waits until a Tornadoe is seen before they issue a warning,...I mean anyone with an internet connection can go on the weather network and see the radar and know there is a massive Storm heading South East over Huron and G-Bay, the red and purple colors tell it all. Then that system spawns a tornadoe at 4:30 in Durham and continues to March South East towards the more populated areas and no tornadoe warnings until its too late. All of the conditions we had were perfect for a tornadoe, I just dont get it.

The part I dont get is why Environment Canada waits until a Tornadoe is seen before they issue a warning,...I mean anyone with an internet connection can go on the weather network and see the radar and know there is a massive Storm heading South East over Huron and G-Bay, the red and purple colors tell it all. Then that system spawns a tornadoe at 4:30 in Durham and continues to March South East towards the more populated areas and no tornadoe warnings until its too late. All of the conditions we had were perfect for a tornadoe, I just dont get it.

Being a weather guy I can tell you the answer is easy.

It's impossible to predict the appearance of a tornado.

After the events of the day, I sent Environment Canada a couple of messages (one of them appended below). I think they meant Restoule Lake, but a lot of people wouldn't know where that is either.

My second message dealt with the fact that although they have a lot of marginally interesting items on their site, they have nothing about what the precautions should be for a tornado. When they say in their warning "take necessary precautions", they don't tell you what those are.

I think that in tornado conditions you are supposed to get as far below ground as you can, or at least be indoors in the center of your house and lie down on the floor if you have no basement (we were ready to get into our crawl space). If I have it right you should also open as many windows as you can (air pressure equalization). Other than that we've never checked.

t_warning_2.JPG