Trailer Hub Seal

Bigfisherman

Looking for some advice, on Saturday I noticed the original hub seal leaking(trailer is only 2 years old maybe 4000kms) so I decided to replace it, I bought the replacement bearing kit L44649 1 1/6" (princess auto).

The old bearings where fine so I just used the same bearings and repacked. The seal from the kit doesn't look as HD as the original, anyways I replaced it and took it for a short hiway ride and noticed it leaked again not much but it did leak, is this normal or am I going to have to replace the seal again before I put it in the water?

Trailer is a 07 1500# easy hauler. with bearing protectors.

Thx

Edited by Bigfisherman

Let me tell you about mine and perhaps you have a similar problem.

My trailer is a 2005, I am the original owner. My drivers side hub always spit out grease from the backside. I had bearing buddies on it installed by the dealer when new and I figured that I was probably pumping too much grease in and it was escape as the hub warmed up when traveling so I didn't pay much attention, just pumped more grease in it once in a while.

So lae last season I arrive home and discover fishing line wrapped around the axle and under the grease seal. I figured now I will have to do the bearings and seals. Since my knee was giving me trouble and a lot of pain I didn't want to get down on the ground to do the job but the dealer was too busy to do it and just as well! I did it myself and when I took it apart I discovered the inner side of the axle had some burs on it which was left behind from the original machining, one of them fairly large, the axle was not properly cleaned off when new. I removed the burs with a small diamond file and finished the job off.

Guess what? No more grease splashing up on the back side of my rim, tire or license plate!

Have a look at the axle when you take it apart and check how smooth it is.

Oh yeah, I sent the dealer an email telling him about my finding, I was not looking for compensation, just wanted him to know of the shoddy workmanship at the factory. Since I told him about this he has never contacted me with a comment or even sent any funny emails which he often did before this, it will be his loss for not acknowledging that report, I am looking to upgrade so guess which boat dealer will not be considered?

Remember to look at the condition of the axle.

do you have the proper load on the bearing.

Did you bend the seal.

Did you over grease.

Are you sure the bearings are good.

Did you use a double lip seal.

Is there any contaminates.

Is the seal boss worn.

Did you use the proper grease.

Is the seal the right one.

I think the problem is the seal, I just used the one that came with the kit its not double lipped. I guess best thing to do is to replace it again with a double lip seal. Will go to Cerka in Milton as its the closest place tomorrow, and change it again, should be easier the second time around:)

Thx for the advice.

Do yourself a favour. Buy two new complete hubs then forget it. Check them periodically and ensure that no water is getting in. I changed mine 3 weeks ago after nine years. I bought 3 @ $31 each and have my spare mounted on one as well.