Entire Day on the Lake.... One Bass. :(

hoot33

I was out on my local lake for the entire day on saturday and this was the only bass I was able to set the hook on...... I could believe it, so many strikes but I was using my new ugly stick with my Daiwa reel and I just couldnt get a decent hookset. I was having trouble with my drag though so I think having the drag set to light may have contributed.

Any way heres the not so huge bass.

zxxeu3h1grfj6ddr1xh_thumb.jpg q8khyam9fjxbpkl5j8w_thumb.jpg

Notice its night time. Out from 6 am and caught him at 8:50 pm!!!

Dylan

Maybe the fish were just biting light, and you were setting the hook too soon. Did you check if your hooks are sharp? If your drag is peeling out when you set the hook then it is too loose in my opinion, unless you set the hook like a mad man. I like to keep my drag fairly tight, and I use primarily 10lb power pro. With the ugly stick I think Cudz is referring to the sensitivity of the rod.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

I like to keep my drag fairly tight, and I use primarily 10lb power pro.

if you fish in cover that he is fishing with only 10 lb PP you're gonna lose a lot more than just a few fish... it's gonna be an expensive day in lost lures... notice the grass beds in the picture... in grass, weeds, pads, etc. i'm up at 50+ lb PP with my drag completely tight.

i second the ugly stik comment... sure they're durable, but that's about all they're good for!

at least you didn't get skunked! 1 fish is better than none!

Sat bite was good on rice. no big ones but we hit 16 fish throughout the day. Most consistent pattern was throwing craws and creatures to heavy pad edges with slop blown in around. Seemed fish were tight to cover

if you fish in cover that he is fishing with only 10 lb PP you're gonna lose a lot more than just a few fish... it's gonna be an expensive day in lost lures... notice the grass beds in the picture... in grass, weeds, pads, etc. i'm up at 50+ lb PP with my drag completely tight.

I did not recommend for him to use 10lb Power pro for fishing in cover. I was just giving him an example of how I set my drag. Its way too dark to see any grass beds.

Target Pike!!!

The proper method for setting the drag on a rod and reel combo.

1. Tie a hook to your line

2. Insert the hook into an immovable object (I use and "eye" bracket for my bimini top)

3. "Load" the rod (pulling back on the rod until you have the desired bend without the drag slipping or the line breaking)

4. Back off on the drag until it just begins to slip when the rod is under the desired load!!!

If you're using and extra light hook or line, you will set the drag in this manner for the weakest link!!!

Edited by GCD

well i guess you just caught the stupidest fish in the lake. i have to agree those ugly sticks can take a beating but they feel like a pile and i'd never buy one but that should make THAT much of a difference. its the user not the rod. im sure if he went out there with a $300 loomis he would have got 2 fish. i suggest when this happens change techniques like retrieve speeds, lures of different sizes colours and depths. if they dont want a steak meal give them a shrimp. and that largie does not look 4.75lb, looks like it might be pushing 4lb max but it could just be the picture

I was kind of messin with you with regards to the ugly stick. Although I really do not like them I don't think that the rod was the actual root of your problems. The rod is a problem but if you were getting hits but not setting hook I would try 4 things. 1- buy good sharp hooks 2- tighten your drag 3- use braid 4- let the fish take the senko in a bit longer (if you are fishing with such a bait). Fish will actually eat senkos if you let them (don't let them), so there is no real rush to set the hook. I usually give them 2 - 3 seconds after I feel the hit.

having one bad day isnt a reason for lessons,new hooks n rods etc.

ive seen him post pics a few times. so he can catch em. everyone gets skunked.

although i did try an ugly stick in the store and it was like a whip lol. but hey,what about the admin whos catching fish on a dollar store bamboo rod??

ya, I have no doubt it was me, but in my defence the lake is nothing but weeds as you can kind of see in the picture so Ive sort of been confined to top water while fishing there anything else either comes back in clumps or doesnt come back at all.

Any tips on fishing extremely thick weeds?

Weeds = good usually.

texas rigged senko

top water anything

(try a weedless frog, popper, spook style bait or jitterbug, wakebait, buzzbait)

Jig and pig or a Creature bait of some kind rigged texas

Big tube rigged texas style

Weeds are your friend

If you cannot get fish at Aug 16 in a full-weed lake, I suspect you are not around ontario ...

Aug 16 fish acted the most active since mid of July. We landed 30+ bass and the fishing forum I visited often was overwhelmed with fishing Pics, reports and many anglers who started fishing last year were discussing about secret weapons that easily lands LM over limits...

Aug 17 is a little slower but many boat still landed more than 20 ... The Aug 18 is crazy and fish starts biting topwater.

Fish is crazy since last Friday when the day is hot and stable ... buzzbaits worked again...

If you cannot get fish at Aug 16 in a full-weed lake, I suspect you are not around ontario ...

Aug 16 fish acted the most active since mid of July. We landed 30+ bass and the fishing forum I visited often was overwhelmed with fishing Pics, reports and many anglers who started fishing last year were discussing about secret weapons that easily lands LM over limits...

Aug 17 is a little slower but many boat still landed more than 20 ... The Aug 18 is crazy and fish starts biting topwater.

Fish is crazy since last Friday when the day is hot and stable ... buzzbaits worked again...

the fact that you and other anglers caught fish on a different body of water has nothing to do with his results. different lakes/ponds react differently to weather and the lake he was on could have just been shut down for one reason or the other. I was out on the 15th in absolutely perfect big bass conditions and only managed a hand full of small largies .you cant say that we smashed them on erie today so simcoe should have been on fire doesn't work that way ever.