batteries - walmart

Guest nuker

i have to buy batteries to hook up a trolling motor to a boat i just bought. 24v.

Walmart has a sale on energizer deep cycle/start (says both on it) batteries for like $99.

They also have Optima Blue Top deep cycle for $239.99.

Do i really need to spend $500+ on batteries for my trolling motor??? or is there a better value out there? i haven't seen good reviews on the canadian tire nautilus ones.

i'm not a tournament fisherman. do i need to drop $1200-1500 on a trolling motor?

I know i want universal sonar. my boat is 18'. i'm thinkin i need like 80lb thrust, 60" shaft... suggestions and where to buy for a deal?

my local shop is saying over $1800 for a terrova!

It all depends on the type of water your fishing. If its pretty clear.... no weeds, etc. You can get away with a light #thrust. If its heavy cover... I would go with the heaviest thrust you can afford.

I have a 14' aluminum, and my 36# only makes it about 2ft. into the weeds. I think I would need about an 80# just for my boa tto chop those weeds up. Maybe even more ! :wallbash:

Energizer batteries are pretty good.... Thats what I have.... I can use my trolling motor for days straight and still have tonnes of juice. I have the big 850(I think) cranking amp one !

I would say go with the cheaper battery if its just for Rec. use ! No need to have top line... that way when something goes wrong... its cheap to fix.

The Optimas are a great battery but if I were you I'd go with Energizers. I have 3 of them in the boat, a starting battery and two deep cycles for the 24 volt bowmount. I got them on special too and so far I've had no issues whatsoever.

With the money saved, you can buy yourself a pretty good onboard charger.

i'll toss a +1 for the energizers.. switched out the old deep cycle for one at the start of the season.. i've gone twice for a week both times without the luxury of having a place to plug in the charger.. i used it every day the last time and still had juice left at the end of the week..

mind you my boat's not the heaviest out there and the motor is 12v 45lbs.. but i know the old battery would've lasted a day, maybe two if i rationed the power..

nuker - I went through this same scenario with my 24V this year. I did the following:

Bought two D34M batteries at Costco for $189.99 2yr free replacement warranty - they have a $25 rebate on them per battery right now on the optima site http://www.optimabatteries.com/save25/save_25_form.pdf

It always best to charge the batteries separately. I bought two CTEK US3300 chargers (they are one of only three chargers Optima recommends for their batteries and its specifically designed for them).

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...D=1250265225810

Don't cheap out on a charger if you go with Optimas. You will kill them prematurely almost guaranteed. Alway charge them up after you're done never let them go for days without recharging if they're under 12.5V.

I have a 14ft aluminum boat and I can fish around for 4hrs and still have 75-85% battery life left. Personally I think its worth it to buy a quality AGM style battery like an Optima they are lighter and safer than the run of the mill deep cycles.

Edited by scugog

well, thanks for the information. i think i'll go with the suggested battery chargers and the energizers. would i use the same charger for the starting battery, and is it necessary to have an extra starter battery on board, or is that overkill?

If these batteries are just for the trolling motor etc, I would stay away from the combo Deep Cycle/starting battaries. They are basically a compromise.

The 'group 27' batteries are what you want for the trolling motor - and are worth the extra money vs combo batteries.

However, I bought a CTC 115aH deep cycle (Group 27) for $120..Naututica or something like that..

They also have Group 27 batteries at Bass Pro, Costco for reasonable prices (close to $100)

Kenny, "group 27" is just a physical battery size. It isn't based upon battery strength or performance or type. There are several sizes such as 24, 27, 31.

You probably already know that but just pointing it out in case someone is wondering.

The Optimas are a great battery but if I were you I'd go with Energizers. I have 3 of them in the boat, a starting battery and two deep cycles for the 24 volt bowmount. I got them on special too and so far I've had no issues whatsoever.

With the money saved, you can buy yourself a pretty good onboard charger.

Just like Roy I have an Energizer its my third season now a great bang for the buck you must buy the deep cycle only though not one for starting.(it can not say cranking amps.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

If I pick up a used electric motor... (gonna use it on the pontoon boat I just bought initially)

what is a reasonable price for one and should it include the battery and charger?

I will want to use this for a tinnie in the 10-14 ft range at some future date too if possible.

Thanks

Splashhopper

If I pick up a used electric motor... (gonna use it on the pontoon boat I just bought initially)

what is a reasonable price for one and should it include the battery and charger?

I will want to use this for a tinnie in the 10-14 ft range at some future date too if possible.

Thanks

Splashhopper

It will probably be best to buy the motor separately. Then buy new batteries and a charger. A 36-45# should only run about $100-$150 used.