Jammed reel seat

izaakwalton

A fastener on the reel seat of my fly rod has jammed and will not loosen. I have tried wrapping the fastener in a warm cloth and a cold cloth to loosen it but it's still jammed. I don't want to use any tools to jimmy the fastener, as I'm worried that this will void the lifetime warranty on the rod. This is an annoyance because my reel is effectively trapped on this rod now.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

Edited by izaakwalton

Take a dish cloth and wrap that ring for protection and take the pliers to it gentle.

Garnet

Yes.

This happens frequently and is not anything to fret over.

I usually wrap a cloth around it and use either channel locks or vice grips to turn the nuts.

rod upright on the table and use wood dowel on the sliding right and give it a little knock.....won't hurt it...

i've had the problem on one of my rods, just fit a pinch too tight with the reel i preferred to use on it....assuming you don't want to grind a little off your reel seat i had good improvement by waxing my reel seat, just used candle wax....you could try a few drops of lube but i think wax sticks around longer after repeated dunks in the river

I e-mailed the company, who gave me the following advice: lube up the reel seat area, wait an hour, wrap fasteners with leather sheet, twist with vice grips. It came off after 10 minutes of steady pressure, although the paint on fasteners is a little worse for wear.

BFW: My issue has more to do with the fasteners themselves than the reel being too big. The fasteners are still not smooth when screwing, but I'll lube it up with WD40.

Thanks to all for the help.