Hook sharpeners? Maunual - Electric - do you use one?

wask

Who uses a hook sharpener?

Just a whetstone one or an electric one?

I was thinking of the one from Rapala that is electric, just wondering if anyone had any experience with them, I've never owned one.

Just can't lose another fish from a dull hook (because it couldn't be me missing the hookset, lol)

I have a small manual stone that I keep with me. Stones are small and easy to pack into pockets, and they can usually fix up any hook. I find having 2 trebles on smaller sized lures a pain in the but so I sometimes remove one so it's important I keep the remaining one sharp.

Edited by timmeh

I've got both a small file and a small stone for regular hooks. Either will provide a razor sharp point. I've also got a special file for muskie hooks made of two cylindrical files. I haven't fully mastered that one, but when I get it right, it can get points sharper than any chemically honed hook I've seen. They're ridiculous.

After an incident with dull auger blades this winter on Lake Simcoe, I bumped into a couple of guys fishing and they told me they use a carbide tipped sharpener to sharpen their blades. Couple of passes using it and its good to go. He also mentioned they are great on hooks too. Bought one the next day and haven't used anything else, be it home or on the water.

I bought an electric one years ago (it works OK) but I prefer the diamond file I have with a little crease down it's entire length that the hook rests in...works like a dream.

If my hooks don't easily scratch my thumbnail I know it's time for a pass with the file. Sharpen a hook, catch two or three fish on it and test that hook...it will be noticeably duller and in need of a sharpening. When it comes to presentations like top-waters, anything less than sticky sharp hooks will mean less fish in the boat.