salmon lining

fishinguypat

You're right Mike. This is dang near as bad as asking where a secret lake is.

Worse still: Someone asking the location of a secret atlantic salmon lake and how to best line them using marshmallows. (Or was that a secret brown trout lake? :dunno:)

An OFC nightmare. :blink:

Lol,...why bother? Just find a pool packed with them and Jump in and tackle one. But seriously, dont Aim to line salmon, Aim to Aggrevate them with big red colours, they will pretty much only hit out of aggression once in the tribs. If you are going to intentionally line a fish you will innnevitably snag one outside the mouth and that is illegal. :D

Ahh good old Owen Sound, didnt think they still ran up there lol.

6-7 years ago when i first started salmon fishing thats where we usually went and some fish were caught, nowadays i heard its getting worse and worse.

I remember this local one night telling me i shouldn't be using roe to catch them and that cigarate butts are much cheaper. He was bragging about it too how he got a few the night before on cigarette butts.

Also one night i almost got my head taken off by a guy casting his 3 oz sinker across the pier missing my head by couple of inches.

Crazy stuff goes on there too.

I`ve seen guys catch them on random spinners and spoons. Most people line them with either roe or cigarette butts or marshmallows or even wool.

Worse still: Someone asking the location of a secret atlantic salmon lake and how to best line them using marshmallows. (Or was that a secret brown trout lake? :dunno:)

An OFC nightmare. :blink:

Is it better to use a tiller or console when lining fish.....better control with a console but increased floor space with a tiller!

The OFC Perfect Storm!

Lol

I remember this local one night telling me i shouldn't be using roe to catch them and that cigarate butts are much cheaper. He was bragging about it too how he got a few the night before on cigarette butts....

Don't laugh, I was there the night the Owen Sound Spectacular winning fish that year was caught.........on a cigarette butt. $20k fish on a DuMaurier Light. Trick is butts that are brown aren't as visible as a white marshmallow, heh there's a market for black marshmallows. New this year, the new Kraft Stealth!

Okay back in a sec, just discussing marshmallow visibility for lining 'nooks......need to go slit my slits....must resist the Dark Side......

Pat seriously, plunking bait on bottom for chinooks is barely one step up from dragging bare trebles through a pool. It's where everybody starts salmon fishing but there comes a moment when it's time to move on. Hopefully when you're sitting back watching rod tips without getting a bump in two hours but the guys on the end of the pier casting hardware are hooking up you have one of those epiphanies.

as i said for the past few years i have been using a float and roe ... but when stream fishing i got all confused beacause i had floater in my egg sacks and the guys beside me caught fish and i had no hits. but last time i went i asked a man "you good at steelheadin? and he said "well i've caught a couple in my time" his technique was a small float, 6-8 lb, line roe with no floaters in them, 2 sinkers, small hook, and his hook was spread about 2 m from the float...his secret was popping one of the eggs to release the scent

as i said for the past few years i have been using a float and roe ... but when stream fishing i got all confused beacause i had floater in my egg sacks and the guys beside me caught fish and i had no hits. but last time i went i asked a man "you good at steelheadin? and he said "well i've caught a couple in my time" his technique was a small float, 6-8 lb, line roe with no floaters in them, 2 sinkers, small hook, and his hook was spread about 2 m from the float...his secret was popping one of the eggs to release the scent

Exactly,..so he wasnt lining them, they were hitting, it does happen.

This is fire season ya know ya gotta watch what ya light even on OFC .....

I just got in after cleanin my 60 inch musky and read this and it got me to thinkin about the time I was fishin bass in April or was it May and I recall Thinkin to myself that I wish these fish I was catchin and givin to my good Asian Buddy for his white pail would be better if they were Lake Ontario Atlantics bout say 20 inchers----hard to tell an Atlantic though so I just keep em all for my freezer.

Anyway I digress .... I remember watchin this guy in a boat at the mouth of Bronte creek lininin salmon with a bag of Stay-Pufts and I laughed to myself knowing the guy really did'nt know anything about the sport cause he was runnin a console----rookies!!

Ya know I'm pretty sure the Americans invented snaggin salmon...

Chill boys :lol:

Bushart

you ate a 60 inch musky? do musky even taste good that big?whatever point is getting a salmon to hit when there schooling is near to impossible when float and roe fishing.when they are brown do they even eat anything?

like at bronte last year a salmon rushed to the corner of the stream and my line dragged over him then he just stopped. i was like trying not to set the hook because it was an almost dead salmon but then i was forced to reel in and it was not budging.it took off into a pool and the fish was unhooked...huge fish at bronte

you ate a 60 inch musky? do musky even taste good that big?whatever point is getting a salmon to hit when there schooling is near to impossible when float and roe fishing.when they are brown do they even eat anything?

like at bronte last year a salmon rushed to the corner of the stream and my line dragged over him then he just stopped. i was like trying not to set the hook because it was an almost dead salmon but then i was forced to reel in and it was not budging.it took off into a pool and the fish was unhooked...huge fish at bronte

Thats why you go when there is a fresh run in the river for just a day or 2. they are still nice and fresh like below was from last August. And dude trust you do not have to line them if you know what you are doing. Ive caught them legit in 1500 sq.ft pools with only 5 or 6 fish in it The odds of lining are next to impossible in that situation. Hint, if roe aint workin, try something else, like a stonefly.

You dont have to always fish the stacked pools either which are crowded and pressured. Get creative and look for other spots, the rewards can be amazing.

Just try steelheading tactics and you might be surprised with the results.

One last thing,...I cut my hand pretty good when I tailed that fish because it had 4 or 5 #4 hooks in its tail from others probably trying to LINE them while bottom bouncing.

FrshNookonthefly-Sept-1-08.jpg

Edited by StoneFly

I guess I'm not good at the ole tongue and cheek thing-----I don't even fish for musky and any incidentals are let go in the water beside the boat

Bushart

Wow!!!! A question like this asked on a fishing site??? Not sure if he got the tongue and cheek responses. :lol: :lol: Like others said, use spoons, spinners at rivermouths, but once they stay in a trib, leave them alone to spawn. Any idiot can line a fish. Once they enter the river they don't eat. Anyone that tells you they hit out of aggression when they are in a trib has no clue. That's a liner that felt a good hit in his mind. The only thing they're interested in is getting to where they have to be to reproduce. I used to think the salmon fishery here on the north shore of L.O. was a put and take fishery but the Pacific Salmon are doing just fine on their own here. Fish for them near river mouths for now and after the slaughter is over, fish for Steelhead.

Done for now!!!!

Cheers

This is fire season ya know ya gotta watch what ya light even on OFC .....

I just got in after cleanin my 60 inch musky and read this and it got me to thinkin about the time I was fishin bass in April or was it May and I recall Thinkin to myself that I wish these fish I was catchin and givin to my good Asian Buddy for his white pail would be better if they were Lake Ontario Atlantics bout say 20 inchers----hard to tell an Atlantic though so I just keep em all for my freezer.

Anyway I digress .... I remember watchin this guy in a boat at the mouth of Bronte creek lininin salmon with a bag of Stay-Pufts and I laughed to myself knowing the guy really did'nt know anything about the sport cause he was runnin a console----rookies!!

Ya know I'm pretty sure the Americans invented snaggin salmon...

Chill boys :lol:

Bushart

I caught a 27"er and a 54"er last week and cooked them both up for comparison. I found the 54"er tasted better IMO! Not as good as early Feb. trout in the upper tribs though or winter lake erie bass