trolling with 115 Merc Optimax

I recently rigged up my boat with downriggers and have been trolling for Salmon on Lake O. I have not invested in a kicker yet and have no problem in trolling 2 to 3.5 MPH with my 115 Optimax.

Someone mentioned to me that the larger motors experience carbon build up at slow trolling speeds and I may ruin my motor. The initial set up has cost me a nice penny so I really don't want to go to a kicker yet unless I absolutely have to.

Does anyone know this motor well enough to comment on using the 115 for trolling? I noticed it is giving off more smoke than I am used to.

Am I doing damage?

Much appreciated.

Is this a new motor?

If so,did you break it like said by the manufacture?

Are you sure it,s smoke and not exhaust Caused by cool temps?

If it,s smoke,then you got issues to deal with.

115 should not be smoking ,unless it,s an older motor.

Although I would rather rack up the ours on a kicker rather than my big motor trolling should not be an issue.I have an Optimax but I also run a kicker for trolling.Mercury has a product called Quick Kleen.It is a synthetic fuel additive.The manual says you should use it in every tank full of fuel.You use 1 once to treat evry 6 gallons of fuel.My dealer told me this helps with any carbon build up.He even told me it"s good for my Yamaha kicker as well since it doesn't see high RPM'S.It cost's about 6.00 a bottle and one bottle treats 272 liters of fuel.It's what the manual say's and it's cheap insurance.

I hope this helps a little.

Dan

Is this a new motor?

If so,did you break it like said by the manufacture?

Are you sure it,s smoke and not exhaust Caused by cool temps?

If it,s smoke,then you got issues to deal with.

115 should not be smoking ,unless it,s an older motor.

Are you referring to cool water or air temps? Looked like smoke but now not certain. I would characterize it as exhaust but how can one tell the difference?

What color is the smoke. White means steam, blue means oil. There should be no visible blue smoke during idling. Your opti should have no problem trolling all day, but invest in a temp gauge if you don't have one. Idling is the worst thing you can do to any engine. Fuel is harder to burn and engine runs hottest while idling.

What color is the smoke. White means steam, blue means oil. There should be no visible blue smoke during idling. Your opti should have no problem trolling all day, but invest in a temp gauge if you don't have one. Idling is the worst thing you can do to any engine. Fuel is harder to burn and engine runs hottest while idling.

I beleive the smoke is white so that is a bit of a relief. I think a kicker may make sense from a safety perspective any so I think I will be making an investment (at least that is how I will sell it to my wife).

Should the engine be tuned on a regular basis? It has performed great for 2.5 years but since I started fishing lake O, I am paranoid of a break down far from shore.

A small kicker is a big waste of money IMHO.......the motor trolls down as it was designed to do....GREAT, enjoy... My fishing partner has a 115 Yammy on his boat and has trolled for years with it without any issues. I have been trolling for over 20 years with my 50 hp without any issues.

A small kicker will cost you about what ? ? ? 2 grand.....you can buy a LOT of gasoline for that kind of money...safety reason ? ? ? don't you already have a cell phone and VHF radio on board....also the extra weight on the transom is not good....where is it parked at night....can the kicker be easily stolen....not to mention even more maintenance needed on something that can go wrong......If you are having no problems trolling now don't fix something that's not broken.....

If you decide to not purchase a kicker, at the end of your trolling day take the boat for a good WOT throttle rip for 5-10minutes. I find my motor likes to periodically sputter a bit after extended trolling periods, after I take it for a rip its fine.

I am paranoid of a break down far from shore.

Fishing the big lakes, buy a VHF for your boat.

A fixed model not portable (more power) and a good antenna (better range).

Then if you have problems call the coast guard or marine police for assistance.

If you decide to not purchase a kicker, at the end of your trolling day take the boat for a good WOT throttle rip for 5-10minutes. I find my motor likes to periodically sputter a bit after extended trolling periods, after I take it for a rip its fine.

This is probably the best advice here. Running the engine wide open for 5-10 minutes (back to the launch) should clear out any fresh carbon buildup from the day's trolling.

Should the engine be tuned on a regular basis? It has performed great for 2.5 years but since I started fishing lake O, I am paranoid of a break down far from shore.

Change the gear oil at the end of the season, keep it greased (tilt and steering tubes). I would change the spark plugs next spring and do the water impeller annually. Opti's in my experience are more reliable than 4 strokes! Use good oil and get your gas from a tried and true source.