Johnson Outboards

scugpg

Hi all - I've been looking at motors and seem to see many Johnson's for sale. I heard they went under - would there be any concern about buying one for parts? Are they still pretty reliable with the newer models they made before they went down?

i have a 2006 saltwater 115, great engine, 2 year warranty. as stated BRP still around. ive had it serviced and small problems looked at without issue, it is essentialy an evinrude etec with a different cowling. very small, quite efficient engine. a bit loud possibly but well rated.

I've got a 2000 70hp Johnson on my boat. Never had a serious problem with it, so I don't know about parts availability. I think 2000 was the last year that OMC built Johnson/Evinrude motors. I didn't even know that BRP had dropped the Johnson brand name.

I have a 1985 50hp VRO Johnson........don't know if parts are hard to come by or not since I haven't had anything replaced except a water impeller which was just in case reasons....I would buy another one today if I needed it but since it's only 24 years old I am guessing I have at least another 10 years before that decision comes up.......

Well what BRP did was they went with the Evinrude name but till make the Johnson in a 9.9hp. the rest of horsepower class are Evinrude. have you guys ever seen a Evinrude 55Hp MFE(Multi Fuel Engine)? it was basically built for the military

The first outboard engine ever available to the general public that's capable of running on multiple fuel types, including kerosene, JP-4, JP-5, JP-8, Jet A and Jet B as well as standard gasoline. Change fuel settings at the flip of a switch, without compromising performance.

we have a Johnson 115 Faststrike over 10-years old, never a problem. would I buy another, yes. seeing that 55HP MFE clip, that might be the next one (if it come with a bit more HP in the next 10-years)