evinrude e-tec or optimax

You got a picture of that thing, Art? ;)

Here you go I forgot they don't use these boats much up North. They are the bomb down here for shallow river fishing.

jetboat001.jpg

It kind of hard to see but the scum line is were it sits while off plane it below the strafe on the lower bottom

jetboat002.jpg

The boat is driven from the front of the boat with the driver in the middle..throttle on the right side and a air boat stick that you push forwards or back to go right or left

jetboat003.jpg

Looking at the side of the motor you can see that the water intake on the bottom is level with the bottom of the boat of keep it from striking underwater objects

jetboat004-1.jpg

The power head looks normal but it actually from the factory is a 60 hp power head because the jet loses 33% of its power due to the mechanics on how it processes water for propulsion.

This picture while is not a jet drive I figured I would kill two birds with one stone here.Pat here is the picture of The Fish and Whistle that I was telling you about

IMG_20070413_0040Small.jpg

Art

I heard that jet drive boats both suck and blow at the same time!!! ;)

O great now I understand why you volunteered to check on my boat at night........that kind of gives me the heeby jeebys just thinking about the off spring of that union..........A really loudmouthed Redneck that can go anywhere he wants. :whistling:

Art

Here you go I forgot they don't use these boats much up North. They are the bomb down here for shallow river fishing.

Awesome! I was thinking I could sure use something like that in a large "foul ground" near me, but at high speed I'd still hit rock shoals that are just at the surface or a couple of inches below. Still, if it were used to move slowly into the area, it would greatly reduce the chance of running aground.

The shiny rod-and-linkage that goes to the rear of the jet --- is that like a trim adjustment?

And when you turn at high speeds - does the boat skid, or does it turn normally?

Edited by Jocko

QUOTE (patrick scott)

Are boat is rated for 150 hp.

LOL, Thanks Jocko :thumbsup_anim: I think it was the use of "are" rather than "our" that played tricks with my eyes.... :blink: or maybe it just messed with my brain. :wallbash:

he might be referring to the fact that the us coast guard rates boats for larger motors than the Canadian coast guard

so the same boat that can have a 150 in cnd can have a 175 in the us......must be the exchange rate

Good one Terry! :D Or maybe it's the fact that the tax is a hidden tax in the States where we pay the tax at the end source. So it's a 150 plus GST.

Awesome! I was thinking I could sure use something like that in a large "foul ground" near me, but at high speed I'd still hit rock shoals that are just at the surface or a couple of inches below. Still, if it were used to move slowly into the area, it would greatly reduce the chance of running aground.

The shiny rod-and-linkage that goes to the rear of the jet --- is that like a trim adjustment?

And when you turn at high speeds - does the boat skid, or does it turn normally?

That actually is the bucket that drops down to give you reverse. Since their is no gear box for forward and reverse you can be going 30 mph and shift to reverse and stop fast enough to clear the boat of people with no damage. The trim and tilt is the same as other motors and is the aluminum part bolted between the boat and motor. The boat skids like a jetski the turning force is strictly the water jetting out the back kind of like steering a wagon pushing it backwards. The trick to shallow water running is to be on plane if you are off plane then you are as deep as the weight of the boat displaces. It takes a little time to get used to driving but once mastered you can push a wall of water off plane ...shift to reverse... let it flow over the shallow riffle and then drive over the temporary depth you created. The only reason they are not used much up North is the pump(jet) loves to eat weeds and has to be cleared by hand to restore thrust. The weed factor down here is a lot less so the bad side does not otweigh the advantages. The cool thing about them is you can trim them up and send a firehose amount of water into your buddies boat then run for the shallows if he has a prop.

Art

Art

LOL, Thanks Jocko :thumbsup_anim: I think it was the use of "are" rather than "our" that played tricks with my eyes.... :blink: or maybe it just messed with my brain. :wallbash:

Yeah, I tend to skim by that stuff and automatically substitute the right word --- as a former teacher I've seen my fill, but I don't have to correct it any more. :P

More than I ever knew about a jet-outboard setup, thanks!

The cool thing about them is you can trim them up and send a firehose amount of water into your buddies boat then run for the shallows if he has a prop.

Your buddy wouldn't be your buddy any more! :D

he might be referring to the fact that the us coast guard rates boats for larger motors than the Canadian coast guard

so the same boat that can have a 150 in cnd can have a 175 in the us......must be the exchange rate

Naw...Its like Canadian and US gallons. Theirs is a quart less so you need more to do the same thing.

Naw...Its like Canadian and US gallons. Theirs is a quart less so you need more to do the same thing.

Well we screwed it up with liters - four liters is almost exactly one US gallon (1.05).

Good luck finding a pump that pumps in gallons nowadays! :P

I wonder how many Americans come across the border and say, "Hey, Canadian gas is really cheap!!!" :D

Come to the dark side Luke convert to MPH and Gallons...............The litre gas thing is the one that kills me first you got to times it by 4 and then hand them USA money and they make up the exchange rate depending how far North you are. ....Gas is really expensive then. I thought I had the system beat using a credit card but they charge me a conversion fee. It's one of the reasons I put a 28 gallon fuel cell in my little boat.

Art

for my money i would run the yamaha hdpi though they tend to run about 2mph slower wot than the e-tec or optimax, they have the best reliability record.

i seen a lot of issues with E-tec's but usually in the larger hp, brp will eventually get it ironed out. most of the guys i have seen running 60-90hp e-tech's love em and don't report any major issues.

I like the black motors, good runners very few problems i have seen with stock engines.

you can also look at the merc verado believe they make a 175 that is also a good engine and the fastest of the four strokes.

If you want better answers go to bassboatcentral.com all kinds of info there on all these engines.