Steelhead Question...

rbaquial

Hey OFC'ers,

Just had a quick question...and I'm sure everyone has their own method. I'm still fairly new to the "Steelhead/Salmon" float fishing world... so it had me thinking... What type of KNOT do you use when you're rigging up your float? Do you use the same knot for everything (even for plastics/bio stuff)... What about for Eggs/Trout worms? I've just learned of a knot called the "Egg Loop Knot"; So it had me questioning....

What type of knot do you use? Why?

**I'm asking because I'm liking the idea of this knot... it seems to be pretty versatile**

Thanks Addicts!

RoB

For tying on your hook to your set up i use "improved clinch knot" ( barrel knot)..for putting eggs on the hook ...i tie bags with spider thread ( several wraps and snap it off both directions) making the egg loop not necessary...now if you catch a fish still in sceine ( "i" before "e" except after "c" ?) then the egg loop is a perfect knot to hold on to un-bagged eggs... if you elect to keep the fish and use fresh bait

i like the KISS method...Keepin It Simple Sucka

pisss... it's skein :D

To answer the question when using skein just use a big enough hook suitable to cover the skein chunks that you will be using. You might also want to cure the skein so it doesn't spoil so quickly. Procure can be bought in any tackle store.

You can also use loose roe in spawn sacks which is much cleaner and easier to manage.

Egg loop know is not needed here...

As for which knot for the swivels etc... it really doesn't matter but some guys will use certain knots due to a higher break strength. Just make sure your leader is weaker than your main line to avoid loosing your whole setup incase you get a snag and you will be fine.

The simplest rig is to toss lures

i just just the clinch knot for all the knots (main line, leader, hook).

i've never used the egg loop knot..i usually use mesh to tie up the skein. its less messy this way when you have a full day of fishing

Thanks for the spelling lesson .. ;) ...im good at chemistry though ....i highly recommend against using procure when there are more traditional safer agents to deal with ..

what about the I before E thing ??? i need a first language ...lol

Improved clinch for everything from the swivel to the hook....

I usually tie my bags with 2-4lb braid.. I can tie it super tight and it never comes loose. i've also been shown that hooking the bag on the side will greatly reduce the chance of it snagging up.

I've just learned of a knot called the "Egg Loop Knot"; So it had me questioning....

What type of knot do you use? Why?

**I'm asking because I'm liking the idea of this knot... it seems to be pretty versatile**

Thanks Addicts!

RoB

If it is the same as this knot, it is the only one I use, I use only up eye hooks.

http://www.steelheader.net/knots/whip_finish.htm

I run a lot of yarn , I just slip it where the skein would go and cinch the knot down tight so the yarn flairs, trim to shape and go fishing.

Of course you can put fresh or cured skein in its place.

I find I get better hook sets with the line tied to the shank and less tendency for the hook to straighten, so I use this when running roe bags as well and of course the number 1 steelie bait, Dewies.