Where to launch on Chesley Lake

evster

I have heard a couple people mention Chesley Lake on here when the topic of fishing in the Grey/Bruce area comes up. My sister and brother-in-law just moved to Southampton and i'm going to be up there next weekend and want to do some fishing close by for a few hours. Does anyone know where to launch on this lake? I'm going to have him go check it out ahead of time but we aren't really sure where to start. I used google maps and it kind of looks like there might be a launch at the north end at the end of Course Road, can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

As stated the north side is the launch...decent fishing ..you wil enjoy it ...i might suggest over by the island for the larger fish though ...its the deepest part from the airation work they did years ago ...

Another spot in the immediate area is silver lake ...i personally havent fished it ...but it looks very promising ...( closer to sauble ) on silver lake road..

The Saugeen has turned a few pickerel recently at the 21 bridge

Good Luck

If its buckets you want fish the Rankin System near sauble. Boat/Sky and Issac lakes. Good Buckets in them.

Are those the lakes just north of Sauble?

I'll keep that in mind, but I think we only have about 3 or 4 hours so I want to stay as close to their house as possible. And I think my bro wants to try Chesley out anyway. Thanks for the tips.

I've caught many walleye off the island drifting a spinner rig tipped with a minnow. Don't be afraid to huf the shoreline when doing so. I have noticed in the past couple of years my numbers have increased, but the size has decreased. I just catch and release due to the fishing pressure on the lake. Had some luck tossing spinnerbaits near any rocky shoreline for bass as well. I have not had too many calm days on Chesley, so I can't comment on any topwater presentation.

As far as Silver Lake goes, I grew up having a family cottage on Silver Lake Crescent, and have spent many a days on the water. There is no boat launch on that lake. If you have a small enough boat, say a 12' or 14', you could put it in off of Silver Lake road. We used to take the motor off the 14' and just use the trolling motor. Most of the lake is relatively shallow, in the 2-4 foot range. It is mainly a sand bottom, and I highly recommend you do not fall out of the boat in certain areas of the lake, or you will just sink in the soft bottom. The only fishable areas on that lake is the perimiter, along the entire shoreline. There is bass, pike and sunfish. Being a fairly small lake, we always praticed catch and release. It is along the shoreline that there is any depth to be had. Even then, you might hit 8 feet pending on the water levels.

Good luck, and hope this information is of some help.

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I figgered no sense starting another with exact same title..wife and I just moved to Paisley and I been snooping around online for places to fish. I tried a few attempts at the Saugeen here in town, but its fast flowing and really stained from all the rain this year I imagine, and I have really no experience in how to fish a river like this. I'm a little backwoods lake kind a guy..lol.

Went touring around yesterday, checked out Arran Lake at the access point in the conservation area. It looks promising, bit on the busy side but looks like won't be fishing any more nice quiet little lakes anymore..lol. Then went over to Chesley lake and not sure if I went to right spot or not but ended up getting to the lake by Camp Road. Only access looked to be the private one operated by Chesley Lake Camp. Boy, talk about busy too with tons of people all over the place!

Is there a different spot where there is a public access to the lake? We ran out of time for touring around yesterday, but was planning on heading back over and looking around some more to see what can be seen in way of access points for the public.

Not an old thread, a really old thread, why not?

First off my kid brother once co-owned a family cottage with his 5 families of in-laws on the west side of Chesley Lake. I can't volunteer their ramp. I have not been for at least 10 years. Note, not a great idea co-owning anything with in-laws, can suddenly become ex in-laws. At one time there was a ramp at the Mennonite Camp at the end of the lake. Must be the same camp you found. Other than that camp I know of no other place to put in. Yes it is a busy place on week ends. I wouldn't fish a week end.

edit: Chesley back then at least had perfect 2.5 lb. Walleye for a fry up. Never went for Bass. Some nice size Pike. Night fishing produced the best for me. Simple minnow and slip bobber, nice and quiet as opposed to the cottage full of Hooligans back then.

My #1 first mate who happens to be a fishing Guru lives in Paisley. Has for 3 years now. If there are places to fish he would know. Unfortunately he isn't on-line. Imagine that, 2017 and not on line. His family can't believe anyone can survive without being plugged in today. They bought him a lap top and 12 months of service, it lasted until the service ended.

Edited by Old Ironmaker