my new roof

tinbanger

Always interesting to see OFNRs projects so I thought I would share mine.

We bought our current house almost 2 years ago and knew it was in desperate need of a new roof .

we survived last winter although you will notice an area on the front were the december winds removed about 3 sq ft of shingles that I had to patch.

oldroof.jpg

Old roof ,lots of missing shingles !

Luckily Simcoe Building centre will delivered the shingles to the roof for $1 a bundle ..at 92 lbs a bundle the best $76 dollars I ever spent

overall.jpg

used about one and one half sheets of 4x8 ply to repair rot , mainly around edges but a couple large ones were discovered mid deck!

valley.jpg

Original roof had no ice and water and very little protection in the eves .We placed ice and water around the perimter , ridges and hips as well as double wide in the valley .Synthetic underlay everywhere else .Metal valleys , new flashing as well . 30 year shingles.

Bit of an over kill maybe but for the few extra dollars I fiqure its worth it .

roof005.jpg

lots of supervision LOL

newroof.jpg

Finished product

Cost slightly over $4000 all in , we had estimates ranging from 3,800 to almost $6000 .Considering the extra underlay , 2 fall arrests I think we saved about $1,500 to $2,000. Took 5 days mostly on my own , or with my youngest.

Luckily the weather was perfect , not too warm and only threatned rain one day .

Would I do it again ... not likely :)

TB

Been there, done that, all that work deserves a couple ooohs and ahhhhs! So ooooh and ahhhh :D

Mine was a straight gable roof. Staight run with a ridge vent.........pretty simple compared to yours, and i thought doing mine stunk. lol Feels good to pull up the driveway everyday dont it?? Nice choice on the architectural shingle

Not bad at all Dave, I'll likely be doing that myself in a year or two...on a 5 yr old roof :( What I like most is the price you paid for materials, my roof is quite a bit smaller and easier to do. Oh and in my opinion, on something like that there is no such thing as overkill :D

Maureen

Nice job! I've heard it said that a roof is something that no one wants to spend the money on, who looks at it anyways!! :D However when it starts to leak it's money well spent. Had mine done 2 years ago after it started to leak, got it done before any there was any damage. ;)

Mine was a straight gable roof. Staight run with a ridge vent.........pretty simple compared to yours, and i thought doing mine stunk. lol Feels good to pull up the driveway everyday dont it?? Nice choice on the architectural shingle

5 valleys and 12 different roof areas made for some slow progress . the architectural shingles are much easier and forgiving to install than the 3 tab type .

TB