where to go?

duxbware

Hello everyone,

I just got into downrigging and I have a few places I want to check out. Where would you guys go? Kincardine, owen sound, simcoe staying away from Lake Ontario until the end of the derby and Erie until I get comfortable in the new boat( it gets rough fast!!!). Anywhere else? We want to target anything that will hit on a down rigger, salmon, trout, pics.............

Why stay away from Lake O till after the derby? She's a big lake and the fishing will be hot on the north shore when the water warms up. Likely the beginning of August. Just make sure you pick your days. Pay attention to the wind speed and direction. I wouldn't go out with winds greater than 15-20km. Avoid especially east winds on the western end of the lake. Check out spoonpullers.com. Sign up and knock yourself out

Captpierre

Kincardine carrys alot of structure on the bottom and the fishing is great ..The power plant is turning great numbers the past few weeks if you dont want to travel to the Bruce from Kincardine ( 25 minute boat ride)..you could always launch out of inverhuron and be right on them in the bay ...salmon/ browns lakers.....Bonus to Lake Huron fish ...YOU CAN EAT THEM

Good luck and dont forget the camera

Hands down - Lake Ontario. Where your chances of success are the best out of all the lakes for downrigging, plus you might catch yourself a 30 lb+Salmon. And you can run two rods per angler (ie. maybe stick to a maximum of 3 or 4 rods until you get used to it).

No need to stay away from Lake Ont because of the derby. In fact, I see it as more of a reason to go there... you may get some pointers from other anglers (if you ask) or even from the person at one of the weigh stations.

Good luck.

Yeah...definitely nothing wrong with hitting Lake O...nice to get the hang of downrigging where you're likely to have some results...although eating the odd fish you catch would be nice...eating guide says one meal per month from a fish less than 26" :wallbash:

yeah I gotta ditto the above

dont sell yourself short because your a newb at it I can tell you right now that a big fish is a crap shoot sure you learn over the years but It may be the novice way you set up that triggers a big king and you walk away with a boat I would do the big O and learn it while your playing

And we all know you cant win unless you play

My2

Just an add on I always bring a good set of binoculars to keep track of whats going on and whats getting tossed in the water

Personal choice meat and a flasher

green crome spin doctor and a green crome fly

47 feet down and in and out 80 to 110 feet of water

Edited by BITEME.Esq

Thanks for the replies and PM's. I might hit lake O a few times, but I don't want to hear and whining about a new bee at the boat launch LOL. I might head out later then most to stay out of the way. Keep the info and tips coming. I love this board!!!!

Todd.

I might hit lake O a few times, but I don't want to hear and whining about a new bee at the boat launch

Todd.

WHY should you be any different then the rest of them. Go fish and have a good time....launch after 8:30am and you will have launch to yourself.

although eating the odd fish you catch would be nice...eating guide says one meal per month from a fish less than 26" :wallbash:

What do the Red Meat eating guides say about how many meals you should have per month.......get my point...huh:

Ha, newbie at the launch, don't forget there'll always be someone newer than you after a while. :lol: The last disaster we saw last week was at Bluffers, a guy using a newer Caddy to trailer a LARGE boat, estimating 22-24 footer, did I say LARGE. The rear rims were squatting under the fenderwells, the muffler was about 1 inch off the pavement. I can just imagine the punishment the transmission must take going back up that hill leaving the park. If he ever had to do some collision avoidance, I'm sure it would make North America's ______ videos. Should have taken a few pics. Anyway, for a "newbie" :D Bluffers is pretty forgiving, launch the boat, putter out of the harbour, point directly offshore and a bit to the right, you'll see a skinny yellow marker, 50' depth, keep going, launch riggers and fish anywhere around that area. Good luck