Old favourites

bigugli

Despite all the ultra modern gear , and all the bells and whistles, that one can spend thousands on, Some old stuff just can't be beat. Every once in a while I get out my old blue glass rod for an outing. It was the very first grown-up fishing rod to call my own and after 40 odd years of abuse it still holds up. It flexes like a whip so it has great casting range for a 5' rod

DSCN2247.jpg That was one of last year's victims.

I also have a few treasures in the tackle box. Old hula poppers, chugbugs, rapala minnows, etc.. I just keep changing the hooks. Today's weapon of choice was a broken back rebel minnow I've had forever ( lost it a few times but always managed to get it back). Just twitch it and let it float back up, repeat. Reel and stop, let it float to surface and repeat. That old lure still managed to coax up a couple of snot rockets in the cold front today.

DSCN2641.jpg

The 2 fellas down from me caught squit.

Sometimes it pays to hold onto them old faves of yesteryear.

Yep, like we used to say in my gun club, ``It ain`t the gun, it`s the jerk on the trigger`` (Translation - if the gun isn`t shooting straight, it`s probably caused by jerking the trigger.)

We like to delude ourselves that the latest bells and whistles in rod, reel and tackle give us an advantage, when knowing how and where to use the equipment is more important.

I had one of those solid glass rods. I cut it down to make a short jigging rod for ice fishing. Wish I hadn`t done that.

My old Mitchell 301A `modernized`with Power Pro line... it`s caught hundreds of pickerel, pike, specks and bass and is still going strong....

P6222488__800x600_.JPG

My old fav's now sit on a shelf right above my chair in the TV room. I pull em down and play a bit when watching TV.

Shimano 10SG - my very first BC bought at Barkleys 1982

Shimano 200 - bought right after my first trip out with the 10SG

Mitchel 300 France made - my first real spinning reel from Outdoor Store in Dixie Mall early 70's maybe. I think I was 8 at the time

They sit in with some vintage reels I collect

Green cardinals 3 and 4's, Red Abu 5000 with pearl handles, 2 Abu Black 6000's from 60's, Braun Spinning reel and several old pfluegers's

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i too am a VERY proud owner of an old mitchell 300. pretty snazzy reel and i live the sound when reeling it.