Backing for braided line?

dizzidevil

Ok I'm going to change my line, but I know I need to put backing on. I heard that you can use electrical tape, now do I put it on around the spool and than put the line on, or tie the main line to reel than tape the line to reel? I don't know how to tie two lines together, and yes I have tried many times, looked at video's and I still couldn't figure it out! So I will take the easy way!

Next time you or your wife does the groceries, buy some brocoli , they usually come with big wide rubber band to hold them together, just put that on your spool and tie the line normally it won't slip on the rubber band. If you want to use tape try to find the self-amalgamating rubber tape. Don't use any stuff that has glue on it. In the heat the glue will leak and get your reel all sticky.

Edited by wallyboss

You don't need both the electrial tape and the backing.

People use backing for two reasons:

1. to save $.

2. to keep the braid from slipping on the spool.

If you use backing, then the tape is unnecessary. Tie the backing straight onto the spool, then connect the braid to the backing with a uni-to-uni knot. Spool up the braid.

If you want to tie the braid straight to the spool with no backing, then wrap one layer of electrical tape - sticky side down - onto the bare spool and then put on the braid. Tie the braid to the spool with the same knot you use to tie on lures.

You don't need both the electrial tape and the backing.

People use backing for two reasons:

1. to save $.

2. to keep the braid from slipping on the spool.

If you use backing, then the tape is unnecessary. Tie the backing straight onto the spool, then connect the braid to the backing with a uni-to-uni knot. Spool up the braid.

If you want to tie the braid straight to the spool with no backing, then wrap one layer of electrical tape - sticky side down - onto the bare spool and then put on the braid. Tie the braid to the spool with the same knot you use to tie on lures.

Wow!!! SD and I almost agree on something!!!

I prefer to spool my braid on solid, no backing... but I prefer to use the Arbor knot to fasten my line to the spool.

http://www.animatedknots.com/arbor/index.php

A common mistake I've seen and heard of people doing when spooling braided line is not packing it on to the spool tight enough. I use a damp dishcloth or wash rag to pinch the line between my thumb and forefinger with, with the same hand I hold my rod. Tighten your drag all the way dowm and start cranking, it should take a lot of effort to fill the spool. Packing the line on tightly like this will also keep the line from cutting into the spool when you snag or hook a big fish!

I agree with singing dog. I am a cheap bugger! i always, no matter if it is braid or mono or fluoro, tie to the old line so i only have around 80-100 yards of fresh line. When i start to notice my blood/uni knot, i know i have to respool. There is around 3 feet to a yard, how far can you cast? 100 feet? If you are trolling with long leads, respool whole reel. Mind you, i am respooling 6-10 reels every month or two depending on usage, twist etc.. (not braid though). If you have one or two reels, you won't notice much of a savings.

I just can't see the benefit of using a whole spool of braid for one reel :o

The only reason for backing would be to save a few $'s on braid (ie: splitting a spool of braid for two reels).

Other wise backing is not needed. To quote Garry2rs....

"Braid will slip on the arbour...False. Leave a long tag end on your arbour knot. The first row of wraps will anchor everything."

That 2Rs is a fart smucker, I never thought of that. Arbor knot, long tag, overwrapped by successive line turns. Sounds easy and obvious, prolly why it never occurred to me.

Thanks, Chris and Garry.