Quick Walleye Question

Where would be a good place to catch walleye. I'm going up to Lake Seymour(Campbellford) and I caught a small walleye last year on a bass popper at night. Now others in the Camp catch walleye but well I want to plan ahead. There is a long narrow weed patch that I'm going to be hittin during the day for the bass but in the evenings should I try the outtermost edge of the patch for these walleye, or the inner side of the patch.(Inner=Shallow, Outter=deeper approx 12-20ft).

I have a cotton cordel crankbait(silver/blue) A slender mid diving crank by Matzuo and a Walleye diver that I'll try out. Not looking to fish every day for them but at least once or twice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MTBF

EDIT**

I also have a couple 1/4oz Lindy Jig heads(Glow in the dark) that are brand new along with some different Yum Walleye grubs, bumble bee, pink/white, and a dark green/orange color.

And also, will be fishing from both shore and my 14ft rubber dingy, just paddling slowly up and down this large weed bed(.75km long)

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

I think Walleyes are the most finicky bite there is. Sometimes it just lure X that will work but other times lure X Y Z and even a few others can catch you a limit in a couple of hours.

From reading your post I get the feeling you may be fishing from shore. If so you're very limited on what you can do. But if not and you are fishing from a boat drifting along weed edges with a 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz all black bucktail jig tipped with just a pinch (about 1 - 1.5") of nightcrawler usually gets the walleyes out of the weeds even when they not very aggressive. Just pop that jig in the sparse weed growth along the edges but watch out this usually gets some action from bass and pike and once in a while a muskie too.

You now have your assignment so get going and report back. :)

Bob

I also have a couple 1/4oz Lindy Jig heads(Glow in the dark) that are brand new along with some different Yum Walleye grubs, bumble bee, pink/white, and a dark green/orange color.

And also, will be fishing from both shore and my 14ft rubber dingy, just paddling slowly up and down this large weed bed(.75km long)

Try right at dusk, just as the sun hits the horizon. This seems to be a "magic" time for walleye around here. In the scenario you describe, I would sit outside the weedbed and cast a shallow running lure - husky jerk, rapala, xrap, spinner.... - in past the weedbed and retrieve back over the weeds toward deeper water. Once it gets dark, I would concentrate on the area between the weedbed and shore.

During the day, work the shady side of the weedbed. Imagine the fish have their back to the sun, looking out of the weeds. If they seem super-finicky, try sneaking up on likely looking pockets in the weedbed and dropping a jig straight down in, almost like flipping a jig for bass. Let the jig drop to the bottom and hop it a few times. Be quiet!

You will probably getting into them during the day on the weed edge if it's in 20ft of water. Usually in the evening, they'll come up and feed on the flats.

In other words, try everything :)

Sounds about right to me.

You'd crap if you knew how many walleyes I catch on spinnerbaits!!

Orange has been good to me. You never know what you'll get on a spinnerbiat along a weed edge!!

Sinker

Ssshhhh :whistling:;)

the grand river has great spots! iver been out twise this year for walleye and in those two outings ive landed 5 or 6.

2 of them were over 5 pounds about 32'' maybe a little bit more, the others were 2-3 lbs about 20".

grand river is great! just need to find a nice drop off, and trow in a diving silver rapala original floater, and have fune!

walleye are night fish, so early morning or sunset are best times....

im actually heading to the grand river tomorrow night after work for a day of fishing! will post some pics sat!

good luck