The Chigger Craw

Bought a pack of 3" Green Pmk chigger craws + a 2pk of these title shot "shaky jigs"(1/4oz).

I think this is how one is suppose to rig these baits. I'm guessing another bottom bait, worked on light line...probably optimum for smallies.

If I'm correct, Dave used this technique on one of his shows this year.

ScreenHunter_02Jun181319.jpg

ScreenHunter_01Jun181318.jpg

Any insight on additional ways to rig/fish these let me know! Guess my first step to semi finesse fishing :)

MTBF

EDIT**See last page for a additional question plz.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Someones been watching OFC. Shows that product placement really does work. That rig can be used for dragging over rocks, light wood and swimming over/through medium dense cover. Too soft for real heavy cover as the hook point gets pulled out of the bait.

For heavier cover put it on the back of a flipping jig with a good weedgaurd. I prefer to run these baits with a worm weight and texas rigged hook as I've had varied success with the little spikie thing

Can't believe you just said that. Dave Mercer!

dave who this guy says...jeeze.

Oh, that Dave. :D

I was talking to Charlie Wray at the boat show and he was telling me about killing them with the craws as well.

I have never used them, but if a tube jig works, why not a plastic that actually looks like prey?

I will probably get some for this year.

Jim

Oh, that Dave. :D

I was talking to Charlie Wray at the boat show and he was telling me about killing them with the craws as well.

I have never used them, but if a tube jig works, why not a plastic that actually looks like prey?

I will probably get some for this year.

Jim

lol, well i'll try it at a few spots and share how it works. looks perfect, small and the fishes fav choice for prey as they can give back the most energy to fish.

fish them fast, fish them slow , fish them as a trailer on a jig.. light line, heavy line.. they work almost any way.. ALOT of ppl used them last year .. and well they worked.. whether you flip pockets and docks .. or just huck them out there.. found that they worked great in many situations.. i normaly fished them on a 2'o worm hook .. with or with out a weight..

but that set up you have got there would work just fine , though i normaly stick to 20-50lb braid..

Skeet Reese used it to win the Classic so I think it might work... ;)

Personally haven't tried them yet though. I prefer beavers if I'm flippin plastics. I'm interested in knowing how they work though so make sure you give us a report after next weekend.

Dave had them rigged on a Fin-Tech Knuckle Ball jig but the Shakey head will work as well. Fish that rig around the weeds and docks for Largemouth. They will pound them hard!!!!

Dave had them rigged on a Fin-Tech Knuckle Ball jig but the Shakey head will work as well. Fish that rig around the weeds and docks for Largemouth. They will pound them hard!!!!

See I got these jig heads at Canadian Tire. They also had those Knuckle Ball jigs but in yellow, pike, orange and white i think...no black. They also had jigs by the same company(i think) but they were equipped with wide gap hooks and a heavier weight at the head. Good prices also.

Not to hijack this post, but was reading it and thought of a question. I too bought some of these this week and planned on pairing them up with a 1/2 ounce football head jig. Is it the same concept as a jig? Throw to cover, twitch it in place a bit and slowly hop it back toward the boat?

yeah man that'll work fine, like JP said Dave was rigging them on Knuckle Ball jigs which was kind of cool because they make the claws stick up off bottom.... I've also seen Dave smash largies on them texas rigged with a bullet sinker in thicker cover....awesome baits dude... I like them because they're a bait that'll catch more numbers, rather than just bigger fish....the smaller guys will smash them and keep you on your toes while you wait for the bigger bites...

good luck

UF

the only real problem i found with the chigger craws was the claws , they seem to get ripped off by all the little guys.. BUT that does not mean throw them out !

caught PLENTY of fish with single craws.. mean while all my buddies were throwing them out ..

the only real problem i found with the chigger craws was the claws , they seem to get ripped off by all the little guys.. BUT that does not mean throw them out !

caught PLENTY of fish with single craws.. mean while all my buddies were throwing them out ..

Interesting, it must be a confidence thing as I have noticed a distinct reduction in bites once a lose a claw. I prefer it on a texas rig, but learning to like it as a jig and chatterbait trailer too. Skeet won the Classic on the Crazy Legs version, Boyd Duckett won the Classic on the regular Chigger. 2 Classics in 3 years. Not bad at all. Great action. My biggest complaint is that pike seem to love it even more than bass and get a lot of slimers and bite-offs. Switch to like a 10" power worm and catch mostly bass.

Hey fish-meister, how about I sell ya the one-clawed ones at 50% off? :)

Charles

Well all this info is great. I'm going to lake Seymour this Friday for a week of fishing. Approx 50ft from the shore there is a long narrow weed bed thick of weeds from bottom to top of the water coloum. No floating weeds however. I like to try to get out to the outter most edge and fish crankbaits along the edge. Would this Chigger craw, along side a 7" power some be good techniques to try out along the edges?