New X-Rap/Frog/Jig n Pig Slop Rod - Recommendations?

MSBruno

My last finesse post went very well, so I'm looking to add a 3rd rod to my arsenal and would be my first baitcasting rod.

1st rod - Medium Action, Spinning Reel : Spinnerbait/In-Line Spinner/Buzzbait rod (basically a cast and constant retrieve setup)

2nd rod - Medium Action, Fast Tip, Spinning Reel: (Worm/Jig/Drop Shot rod)

3rd rod - looking for a baitcasting setup for X-Raps, Jig n Pig/Fog Slop rod

I would like to go baitcasting to get past all the knots that I'm encounting in reeling slack and semi-slack line with my current spinning setup. I would like to stay below $250ish. Left handed reel. 1 piece preferred. I would use this pimarily for LMB, SMB and Pike.

Recommndations?

Again, thanks OFC for the advise!

If it's slop you want to fish with frogs and the like, you need a heavy action baitcasting rod, 7 ft or longer to give you the leverage you need, a St Croix Premier is nice, as for a reel, you can't go wrong with Shimano or Quantum, unfortunately, 250ish is not quite enough, save a few more bucks and buy what you really want as opposed to settling for an inferior rod and reel that you will end up replacing sooner rather than later, you don't need to buy twice.

I would like to go baitcasting to get past all the knots that I'm encounting in reeling slack and semi-slack line with my current spinning setup.

that's not good....FYI - especially for a beginner, there will probably be much more knots involved with learning to baitcast......and if you're having that many problems with your line on your spinning setups you're doing something wrong.....

I would guess line twist would be your culprit.....try respooling and google how to spool a spinning reel properly or most spools come with an tiny instrucion booklet....make sure you aren't reeling against your drag.....splurge on quality line....if you're getting loops when you're casting make sure you are closing your bail properly, with your hand, and that you are beginning your retrieve without any loops or slack line on your spool (this will become second nature very quickly - works for me at least).....I would start by replacing your line and starting over right

as for your new rod...you are asking for a rod for two very different techniques...a good slop n frog rod will not be a good jerkbait rod....many manufacturers make technique specific rods....pick up a frog rod and then a jerkbait rod and you'll see the difference

as mentioned before, save up as much as you can, quality equipment makes everything better.....but in your price range i woudl take a look at the st. croix mojo series or the new rapala rods, the mid series, ts2's i think they're called....both mojo and ts2's under 90 bucks.....for a reel the shimano citica is a nice one that fits your budget....so is the quantum accurist.......i've cast both and would say they're decent mid price point reels.....

Edited by bare foot wader

have a look at a 7' MH, brand doesn't really matter - I'm a St. Croix (Triumph series is inexpensive but a good rod) guy but the rod I have in this class is a Fenwick HMG. Shimano Clarus are also nice without breaking the bank. Go to a store and see which one feels good to you. Spend more money on a reel than rod when going baitcasting. Shimano Curado or Citica would likely be a good choice. If you can find an old style Curado (green ones) used you'll save yourself a few bucks on possibly one of the best reels ever built in this class.

a 7' MH might be slightly lite for the really thick stuff but a 7'+ H slop rod will definately be too heavy for little jerkbaits like the xrap. So I say go for the MH - it will work. Either way spool the reel of your choice with 30 to 50lb braid and when first learning to use a baitcater, start with heavier lures and line. (easier to cast heavy lures and easier to pick out backlashes - until you get the hang of it - in thicker line)

Edited by Raf

that's not good....FYI - especially for a beginner, there will probably be much more knots involved with learning to baitcast......and if you're having that many problems with your line on your spinning setups you're doing something wrong.....

I would guess line twist would be your culprit.....try respooling and google how to spool a spinning reel properly or most spools come with an tiny instrucion booklet....make sure you aren't reeling against your drag.....splurge on quality line....if you're getting loops when you're casting make sure you are closing your bail properly, with your hand, and that you are beginning your retrieve without any loops or slack line on your spool (this will become second nature very quickly - works for me at least).....I would start by replacing your line and starting over right

as for your new rod...you are asking for a rod for two very different techniques...a good slop n frog rod will not be a good jerkbait rod....many manufacturers make technique specific rods....pick up a frog rod and then a jerkbait rod and you'll see the difference

as mentioned before, save up as much as you can, quality equipment makes everything better.....but in your price range i woudl take a look at the st. croix mojo series or the new rapala rods, the mid series, ts2's i think they're called....both mojo and ts2's under 90 bucks.....for a reel the shimano citica is a nice one that fits your budget....so is the quantum accurist.......i've cast both and would say they're decent mid price point reels.....

use 20 lb pp green moss and spool as per the instruction on the pack. I'm not sure why I'm getting knots. I'm not sure if it's my reel throwing loops or if it's I'm reeling in slack or semi-slack line.

have a look at a 7' MH, brand doesn't really matter - I'm a St. Croix (Triumph series is inexpensive but a good rod) guy but the rod I have in this class is a Fenwick HMG. Shimano Clarus are also nice without breaking the bank. Go to a store and see which one feels good to you. Spend more money on a reel than rod when going baitcasting. Shimano Curado or Citica would likely be a good choice. If you can find an old style Curado (green ones) used you'll save yourself a few bucks on possibly one of the best reels ever built in this class.

a 7' MH might be slightly lite for the really thick stuff but a 7'+ H slop rod will definately be too heavy for little jerkbaits like the xrap. So I say go for the MH - it will work. Either way spool the reel of your choice with 30 to 50lb braid and when first learning to use a baitcater, start with heavier lures and line. (easier to cast heavy lures and easier to pick out backlashes - until you get the hang of it - in thicker line)

I agree, I think I can get away and run a 7'mh rod, not a fast tip and use it for frogs and jerkbaits. 20lb pp green or heavier.

I would stick with a fast tip and spool the reel with minimum 30lb.. :)

7' MH is one of the better all-round rods you can have.

Edited by Raf

If you have knots with your spinning outfit, be prepared to get extremely peaved off with your first baitcaster :)

Hell, I had a few birdsnests last week when out for pike the first time this year. I guess that's what I get for bombing 1/4oz baits (extemely small topwaters) with 20lb braid on a baitcast setup :)

yes.. if you mean CSC-70MHA and they have a lefty citica

ohh and you might as well buy two because combo #1 in your list will become obsolete ;)

Edited by Raf

Throwing X Raps and frogs/bass jigs are two very different jobs for very different rods. I like a 6'6", medium fast speed medium action spinning rod for jerkbaits; the first rod you mentioned you have would be fine. For the frogs / jigs, I prefer a 6'6" MH baitcaster with 20 lb test mono or 30 lb braid. I personally don't think you need to spend anything like $250 for a very serviceable combo.

You might as well just get 2 combos now, especially with some of those deals at Gagnon. Pick up a 6'6 MH for spinnerbaits/buzzbaits and then get a 7'+ H for frogs and jigs. Then I would suggest you use your original combo #1 as your new jerkbait combo and it would also make a good small topwater combo too. Lots of guys prefer to use spinning gear for jerkbaits anyway. And if you dont like using the spinning combo for jerkbaits then just throw them on the 6'6" combo. Also the Citica is a great reel for the money but the Curado E7 would make a great jig and frog reel.

I agree with Raf but other reels you might want to look at that won't break the bank are the ABU Revo series reels. I've been using the cheapest one, the Revo S, and I can say its a fine reel for the price. Not the most powerful (not something you want for BIG pike or chucking hardware for salmon) but easy to cast for a beginner and will most definitely get the job done for what you want it for. And, definitely go with a fast tip and 7+ foot rod if you're fishing jigs for bass. I'd Use one of your spinning combos for the small jerkbaits.

I use a 7' medium spinning rod for jerkbaits. For jerkbaits, I feel that you get the similar casting distance and control with a spinning setup compared with a casting. A casting setup is great for spinnerbaits, where you're constantly retrieving and need to pick up line quickly in order to set the single hook. However, line retrieve speed isn't a priority for jerkbaits. In fact, it's probably preferable to have some slack line to absorb the impact of the strike. Also, if you're going to continue to fish the Islands in May for pike, it's much easier to use a spinning setup and not worry about bird nests. It can get windy out on the Islands, which can be a headache if you're using a casting setup and throwing 1/2oz jerkbaits into the wind. I did that once, and spent 50% of my fishing time picking out bird nests.

mikeymikey: For jerkbaits, I'd go moderate/fast tip so the rod will have some flex to absorb the impact of the strike.

For jerkbaits, I think 7' might be too long. I'd stick with 6' or 6'6". My recommendation is to go with a Shimano Compre Crankbait 6'6" MH. I have one myself. And it's a way better and lighter rod than the corresponding Clarus. I think it's a very strong rod for its weight and rod diameter; maybe the TC4 helps (whatever material it is). Very sensitive too (for its price). Highly recommended.

I had bad experience with the new Rapala TS2. I have a 5'10" spinning medium rod and it broke the first day I used it when I tried to shake off a snag. I wasn't yanking like crazy so I don't think what I did was unreasonable. I also heard that the Rapala X type breaks easily. I have also broken a Rapala Signature and a Rapala ice rod. Those are pretty much all the rods I have broken. So I'd stay away from Rapala, although when they don't break, they are superb rods and extremely sensitive.

For the reel, any of the medium-priced reels from Shimano or Abu are good. I would recommend either the Citica (for low price), Curado (for better quality), or the Revo SX (good price), or Revo Premier (for lightness).

For jerkbaits, I think 7' might be too long. I'd stick with 6' or 6'6". My recommendation is to go with a Shimano Compre Crankbait 6'6" MH. I have one myself. And it's a way better and lighter rod than the corresponding Clarus. I think it's a very strong rod for its weight and rod diameter; maybe the TC4 helps (whatever material it is). Very sensitive too (for its price). Highly recommended.

I like a long rod for jerkbaits. I run a 7' Avid for my baitcast setup which I throw everything with. I also run a 8' Compre for muskie fishing.

A long rod makes everything easier if you ask me.

st croix mojo 7' heavy slop & frog rod. designed for throwing frogs, will also work for a jig rod. has plenty of back bone. go with 30-50 lb braid. i use spiderwire, never let me down, i find PP is a weaker line and digs in more on the spool. then get urself a shimano citica E.

rod is $100, reel will run ya $150

as far as jerkbats, u need to scale down, i use a 6'6" meduim power, fast action baitcasting rod. spinning works too.

Edited by uglyfish

If it were me I'd pick up a St.Croix Mojo Rod. They have a whole range designed for the various fishing methods. If I needed it to be two piece I would get a St.Croix Premier 6'6" or 7' MH rod. Good price performance on these rods IMO. The other suggestions are all good though. It's always nice to go and actually touch all the rods and see what you like.

Sad to read that your Rapala TS2 broke jc2ho. I just picked one up to upgrade an older backup rod. I haven't used it yet though. Probably should have just dropped the extra $40 for a St.Croix or Shimano....oh well.

Good luck!

Sad to read that your Rapala TS2 broke jc2ho. I just picked one up to upgrade an older backup rod. I haven't used it yet though. Probably should have just dropped the extra $40 for a St.Croix or Shimano....oh well.

I had my broken Rapala TS2 replaced by the store right away. So I'm now being extra careful with it when I snag any weed or fight a decent fish. It's a great rod, especially for its price. I hope that it will never break again, and perhaps the one I had originally was just a bad one.