new finesse spinning rod - recommendations?

MSBruno

Looking at purchasing a new rod to pair up with a spinning reel I already have.

This rod would be used for senko worms (weighted and non-weighted), bottom jigging and drop shotting for LMB and SMB. I have 10lb fireline crystal spooled on the reel.

1 piece preferred, but not exclusive to 1 piece. Not looking to spend a tonne of money either.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

If your budget is around 100-110ish, I recommend the 6'6 Med-light shimano compre. It may sound like alot of money, but lifetime warranty comes with it. I broke an old model compre on a snag and they sent me the newest model compre no questions asked. Very good rod too! I'm sure others will agree. If you do go this route though, my strong recommendation is to buy it from a store that has a shimano rep come by every so often. I say this because incase you break it, you dont need to pay the shipping (which costs up to 40$) as the rep will just come by the store and take it. I know of a place that will give you one from their rod rack as long as you show a receipt. If your close to Hamilton let me know and I can tell you of a store that does this. Shoot me a PM.

I was on the hunt for the same thing last week.

BPS has some rods on sale right now. 6'6" BPS Bionic Blade is a one peace, and it was on sale for $60 (regularly $100)

I ended up getting a ML Walleye Angler Signature Series. Used it last weekend, rocked.. It's a two peace 7'. Very sensative.

Good luck,

What size reel? Gagnon Sports has a Father's Day Sale this coming weekend on the Shimano Clarus.

http://www.gagnonsports.com/fathersdaysale.html

Those Shimao's look great and I love the warranty. Which length, action, taper?

The reel is a 8 yr old Michell Spidercast spinning reel (3 ball bearing). I'll try and get the model number.

If your budget is around 100-110ish, I recommend the 6'6 Med-light shimano compre. It may sound like alot of money, but lifetime warranty comes with it. I broke an old model compre on a snag and they sent me the newest model compre no questions asked. Very good rod too! I'm sure others will agree. If you do go this route though, my strong recommendation is to buy it from a store that has a shimano rep come by every so often. I say this because incase you break it, you dont need to pay the shipping (which costs up to 40$) as the rep will just come by the store and take it. I know of a place that will give you one from their rod rack as long as you show a receipt. If your close to Hamilton let me know and I can tell you of a store that does this. Shoot me a PM.

I live 5 min from BassPro, so I'll be purchasing there.

I live 5 min from BassPro, so I'll be purchasing there.

I made the mistake of buying mine at bass pro too, and they tell you to send it to Shimano when you bring it back to them broken. Shipping to Shimano will cost you money though. Your call!

Look for a medium power rod with Extra Fast action for the applications that you are looking to employ. Try to go with a 7'0" for casting distance and hook setting power.

I agree with the Compre for the money... great rod, high graphite modulus (IM8) and lifetime warranty.. the best part is if you need it fast the warranty center is 40 minutes from BPS in Peterborough.

JP

I agree with the Compre for the money... great rod, high graphite modulus (IM8) and lifetime warranty.. the best part is if you need it fast the warranty center is 40 minutes from BPS in Peterborough.

JP

Geez...how fast do you drive? 40 minutes from Vaughn to Peterborough? It takes me almost 40 minutes to get to the Shimano office from here.

Regarding rods...I bought a Clarus a while back, compared it side by side to the Compre and preferred the Clarus (at least in the size I was looking for). Mostly use it as a 'popping' rod and found the tip had a little more flex than the comparible Compre. Saved myself $20 or so as well. Same warranty.

My collection of rods is slowly turning into a collection of clarus's. I love them, and there are lots of options. The warranty is great too. I've only broken one of them, but got it back in 8 days, no charge.

S.