Stainless Steel Propeller

alexw

Hi everyone,

I fish a lake with lots of underwater tree roots and I damage my aluminum propeller almost every year (1 or even 2 per season). I am wondering if it's a good idea for me to switch to stainless steel propeller. The motor is a 25HP Mercury (2 stroke). I checked the price for a SS propeller, it costs around $260 while an aluminum costs only about $60.

My question is:

1. How good are those SS propellers when it hits underwater tree roots? Is it worth the money?

2. Where can you find good deals on SS propellers.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Stainless props hold up better when they impact a stationary object but at the cost of possible damage to the lower unit gears.

The good thing about aluminum props is their softness (softer than the lower unit gears) so it breaks while saving the gears that are worth a lot more $$$$. Change to a stainless prop that is harder/stronger than the gears and the dears are likely to be the first thing to break.

But at least your prop will be ok. B)

Better to go through $100 worth of props rather than $1000 worth of lower unit repairs per incident.

Where stainless shines is in areas where hitting rocks, stumps etc are not an issue.

Stainless props afford better performance (better holeshot, turning, top end speed) that is what they are designed for not for stump bashing.

Bottom line stick with your aluminum, your lower unit will thank you. :D

Hi everyone,

I fish a lake with lots of underwater tree roots and I damage my aluminum propeller almost every year (1 or even 2 per season). I am wondering if it's a good idea for me to switch to stainless steel propeller. The motor is a 25HP Mercury (2 stroke). I checked the price for a SS propeller, it costs around $260 while an aluminum costs only about $60.

My question is:

1. How good are those SS propellers when it hits underwater tree roots? Is it worth the money?

2. Where can you find good deals on SS propellers.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

tree roots, you're probably okay. SS is a lot tougher than steel in any situation. Your top end speed is also a little better because the blades are thinner for the same strength, and there's much less prop flex in SS designs. They are definitely heavier though so there will be differences in how the boat runs through the rpm range, especially with smaller engines. It's up to you whether or not it's worth it. The only situation i probably wouldn't be getting one is if i'm smashing rocks all year, even then SS is more durable, but it's not something you want to replace or repair every season.

BBC forums has a forsale section just for props. bass boat central.

Would a SS make a difference on a 25 hp for performance???? How much flex can you have from a 25hp. I was told that my 75 wouldn't see that much of a difference. I would say stick with the alum. and save your gears.

Edited by wallyboss

I suspect that most of the anti-SS comments are from armchair experts who "Read it some where."

This whole gear thing is a myth in my opinion because if you hit something hard enough to damage the drive gears you were going to need major repairs no matter what prop you were using.

I have been using SS for 7 or 8 years in the Kawarthas and points north where as the locals say "They don't call it Stoney Lake as a joke!"

In this area I could ruin a fresh prop any time I launched the boat, so I got tired of always needing prop repairs and I switched to steel. I was more concerned about damage from an out of balance prop than any gear case troubles.

No, I have never had gear problems with my 50, 120 or 150 motors, and sadly I dinged their SS props many times. However they are steel and will take a licking and keep on ticking. If after a couple of years they start to get too ratty, SS props can be repaired easily but not cheaply...grin.

Would a SS make a difference on a 25 hp for performance???? How much flex can you have from a 25hp. I was told that my 75 wouldn't see that much of a difference. I would say stick with the alum. and save your gears.

For performance (speed, even holeshot), I simply can't see it being appreciable on a 25 HP motor. For bouncing off of wood, definitely more durable.

Lower unit gear case damage. Striping the splines on the pinion gear is the one I've seen most.

Friend hit a just below the surface ice hut.Likely cut the thing in half. He said, I was doing about 120.

Prop was fine,Other things didn't fair so well.

A SS prop on a 25. There will be more toque. Likely only tell the difference under heavy load.

I like the myth about your prop turning.

When trailering your boat you should put it in gear.

This will prevent the seal from wearing out. The water helps lubricate it!

If water is getting to the contact area of the seal. You have a leaky seal.

stainless props also have plastic/rubber hubs that will fail if you hit something maybe causing less damage to the lower unit, but causing you to replace the hub.

for $120 a year in prop repairs I would stick with an aluminum prop for a 25 hp.